Truck's whining at me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEyster

Reaction score
2006 2WD with 200K miles. It has developed a whine, increases in pitch with speed. Accelerating, I begin to hear it at about 20 mph. Decelerating, I hear it almost to a stop (more of a growl at that point). No vibration. Been doing this for at least the last 5K miles. Is somewhat louder now than when it began. I believe it is coming from the rear, however I can't say for sure. Would appreciate advice as to where to start

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you'll need to get it up on jackstands with the front wheels chocked to keep it from moving, start the engine, put it in gear and get under there to find it. A cheap mechanics stethoscope can help tremendously.

BTW, it can be a challenge to find the culprit so be patient and keep trying if you don't identify the issue the first time. Also don't get too hung up on the sound coming from the rear end. I thought a recent issue was the rear differential and it turned out to be a front driveshaft u-joint and a bearing inside the transfer case.

Doug Reed

Reaction score
On my 04 NBX I just had a rear wheel bearing assy and a front brake caliper (that was hanging up) replaced. Now quiet as a mouse. $900 worth of repair.....otherwise known a couple years ago as $500 worth of repair......

OP
OP
J

JEyster

Reaction score
Been away from the forum and dealing with the noise. Time to get back on it. Thanks for your input