Turbo's and Truck pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I entered an amatuer truck pulling competition with the ole' expedtion, pretty good times. Got another coming up in a couple weeks that I'm going to do. I did have a problem pulling, because the track was clay and spongy, I actually got too much traction and bogged the motor down. It wouldn't go over about 3k and get the tires spinning. It just kindof hovered around 28-2900. I had a good showing, first place in the gas trucks (one guy did outpull me but he was running a heavily modified truck so he gave me the trophy for good sportsmanship, there werent enough to run two classes for gas) and managed to outpull some diesels as well in the open class, and grab second. Not too shabby. So for this upcoming pull I need more power. I don't have a programmer and was thinking of getting one to see if it will help.

For the turbo, I can pick one up locally pretty cheap. Can any turbo be fitted in? I know very little about turbos so I have no idea. Supercharger is out of the question, and so is nos. I have a cold air intake and a flowmaster with dual exhaust. Thats about it for modifications. What do you guys think?

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A supercharger is out but a turbo is in? They are probably about the same work either way wouldn't they? I know there are supercharger kits for the 5.4L not sure about a Turbo - but I am sure it can be done - if you manage to shove one under the hood take lots of photos - I like photos...

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a little experience with turbos, but no way near completely knowledgeable. Everything I have learned is from tearing apart and rebuilding a couple t3 turbos on my buddies 84 SVO mustang. For starters, if you do a single, you will probably need around a 60mm turbo or maybe 2 38mms if you run twins :) Turbos come in many different sizes and can have different housing sizes. Larger sizes flow better, but have more lag time. If you have the time, pretty much any turbo that matches well with your size motor can be fabbed up. For materials, you will have to have to fab pipes to attach the turbo from the exhaust, then run 3 inch pipe out the back, not sure about cats and mufflers in this case. For the intake, you should have it intercooled to prevent detonation and come up with a way to do the intake. You will also need to have a cooling system on the turbo, which is either water or oil, but some have both. For the motor, you will need larger injectors, 39 or 42 lbs. a larger throttle body, a 255lph fuel pump, and a tuner. I think this will give you the general idea of what is needed, and I am probably leaving out more info, but this is most of what I can think of now. Hope it helps.

With your current set up, you would only be able to run around 5-6 psi because I don't believe the 5.4 has forged internals like the 4.6 if I remember.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of deal you are talking on the turbo and how much of it you will do yourself, but I did see some recent complete used superchargers on ebay running about 1500 and they would be a direct bolt up and take less time, but IMO, turbos are way sweet. I love hearing them spool down, and it would be sweet if you do this because I love doing things myself, and they make you feel so much better in the end. Back in the day, my grandpa build monster 460s for truck pulls.

Good luck if you take on this project and at your next pulls and hope this helps

Zerick

OP
OP
H

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you know much more than I. I'm not trying to change injectors and all that, I didn't think it was that in depth for a small turbo... I guess nos is going to be the way to go. I'm thinking a 50-75 hp shot should be ok. I can do the fab (at least have people help me with it) but I don't want to rip apart the motor to do it. Going to order a programmer I'm positive that will help.

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its not as easy as just buying a turbo for your truck and putting it on. You need a new turbo manifold, possibly injectors, the computer will have to be tr tuned and depending on the compression of the motor it may not even work. I dont know if expeditions are low compression motors. And if you you give it to much boost you can kiss your motor goodbye. Just be careful. It gets expensive. Especially since i have not seen a turbo manifold for an expedition which means custom made.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The turbo would be a good set up, but there is a lot of time and money to do it right. I'm not sure what your budget is, but the few $1500 superchargers on ebay came with everything to set it up, including the tuner, injectors, and all brackets.

OP
OP
H

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didnt realize a turbo was so involved. I don't want to sink 1500 into a supercharger, although I'd love to, but the spousal unit isn't going to let that happen unless I buy here a new suv. She uses it to take the kids around on the weekends and whatnot. Its quite the dilema. I'm thinking that nitrous is going to be the only option for me. For the short amount of time I need the extra power its logical. I haven't seen any kits out there. I'd imagine that I can make something work. Thanks for all the good info guys. Anyone know of anybody foolish enough to put nitrous in an expedition?

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can run nitrous just not alot. maybe 100 shot at most. Just be careful bc like they said, the 5.4 dont have forged internals which means you throw to much at it from any power adder and your gonna be sweeping pistons and rods up off the track.