Weak idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
My expy. Started having a weak idle. The RPM will go below "1" and the battery light goes off. What can it be? Please help.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
That could be a lot, I'm sorry. Could be fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors, weak spark, battery/alternator dying...
When does it happen?
BTW - Battery light should ALWAYS be off, only on if it dying or dead. Does the gauge show charging when it's running?
Also, my older cars typically idled at 750/800 only 12-1500 at initial start.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
That could be a lot, I'm sorry. Could be fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors, weak spark, battery/alternator dying...
When does it happen?
BTW - Battery light should ALWAYS be off, only on if it dying or dead. Does the gauge show charging when it's running?
Also, my older cars typically idled at 750/800 only 12-1500 at initial start.

It has been happening in the morning on my way to work. I let the car warm first but then this problem occurs.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
So, it doesn't sound like battery/alternator... is battery light on or off? It should illuminate when you start the truck, and turn off once its started. Initial rpm"s can creep up to 12-1500 but drop under 1000 once its warmed up a little.
If the above is what your seeing, its just working.
If you have the AC set to run. You hear a click - THEN there is this dip, that's the AC Compressor cycling on and attempting to function. Does the AC work (if this is the pattern)?

If also recommend checking for vacuum leaks...

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As always; year, make, model and engine would be helpful.

It sounds like a bad battery with a dirty throttle body bore.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
So, it doesn't sound like battery/alternator... is battery light on or off? It should illuminate when you start the truck, and turn off once its started. Initial rpm"s can creep up to 12-1500 but drop under 1000 once its warmed up a little.
If the above is what your seeing, its just working.
If you have the AC set to run. You hear a click - THEN there is this dip, that's the AC Compressor cycling on and attempting to function. Does the AC work (if this is the pattern)?

If also recommend checking for vacuum leaks...

Well it has normal RPM idle then it fluctuates down below 1000 and up. When it drops, the battery light comes on.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
As always; year, make, model and engine would be helpful.

It sounds like a bad battery with a dirty throttle body bore.

Sorry.
2003 Eddie Bauer expedition

The battery light comes on when RPM drops. Sounds like it's about die out

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
So, if the RPM's are dropping so low that the alternator output isn't sufficient to charge the battery - you would get the light.
Honestly I'm back to vacuum leak