What is this thing that fell off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fearthewopr

Reaction score
Found this on my driveway this morning.
2017 Expedition EL Limited

I looked around under for where it would fit with some new hose clamps, but I cant find it.
Anyone?

1000002647.jpg1000002646.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found this on my driveway this morning.
2017 Expedition EL Limited

I looked around under for where it would fit with some new hose clamps, but I cant find it.
Anyone?

View attachment 80833View attachment 80834

Exhaust system heat shield. Examine exhaust system, it should be evident where it dislodged. Check rear, new where the system bends near the spare tire storage location.

OP
OP
F

fearthewopr

Reaction score
Thanks. Cat is still there. :) Running fine. I tried to fit it back on for a few minutes, but could find the spot. I'll check again near the spare tire.

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
Have to wonder if it is the Catalytic Converter Heat Shield?

I can't say specifically where it is located, but I am pretty sure that when installed, it would be located at a junction of the header and exhaust and sits on top of the piping to shield the components above from excessive heat, thus cursory inspections from underneath are not really going to reveal the actual location.

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The assumption is that it is a heat shield for the exhaust system. Could it be from an intercooler pipe or other line located near the exhaust? Weird that the strapping would break like that as well. I am sure it is important. Where was it found under the car?