What parts should I keep as spares before scrapping my Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am junking my 98 Expedition very soon. I started a thread to see if anyone needed any parts. Now I am starting a different thread for suggestions on what I should pilliage before I get rid of it. I already pulled the door switches (window and lock controls). The hatch and rear window do not always unlock on my 2000 Expy, so I am going to pull that mechanism as well. I'm pulling the roof rack cross bars, just because.

I don't have a ton of storage space to keep doors or the hatch or anything. Just wondering what other parts you guys would pull to keep as replacements. I know when I went looking for a door switch set up at the local junk yard, as soon as he heard switches, he wanted $50. So I figure by pulling them, I'll save $200 should they go out (more or less). Plus, they won't really add to the scrap price to leave them in.
The one I am getting rid of is a 98 XLT 5.4L
The one I am keeping is a 2000 XLT 4.6L
Any suggestions?

xtinc7ion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in need of a rear passenger side fender flare, not sure if yours has any or not but if it does, I will take it off your hands, just let me know a price and I will pay for shipping too of course.

xtinc7ion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BAHHHHH lol jk jk what about your front bumper,

1. Is it chrome trim
2 is it in good shape

Thank you for your time!

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BAHHHHH lol jk jk what about your front bumper,

1. Is it chrome trim
2 is it in good shape

Thank you for your time!

I don't quite understand what it is you say you are joking about. I'm not interested in shipping a bumper to AZ. Again, sorry.

xtinc7ion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I said "just kidding" because I said BAAHHH about no fender flares. Wasn't expecting that I would have to explain that. I do apologize. And as for shipping to AZ, totally your choice, though I was only asking since you started a thread for anyone (apparently not everyone) to see what they would want to snag off your parts expy. Unless I completely missed the point of this thread. Sorry for wasting your time, have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha. I didn't know what Baahhh meant.
As far as the thread, I started one for anyone to ask about parts. I started THIS one for suggestions on what I should keep as spare parts for my other Expedition. It's no waste of time, I just didn't understand what you meant. I thought you meant you were just kidding about wanting a fender flare, which I didn't understand.

I can't imagine that it would be cheaper for you to have a bumper shipped across the country, vs finding one in your local junk yard. I wouldn't even know how to ship a bumper? A pallet?
Plus, I am in the rust belt, I would think Arizona would have metal parts in much better condition.

xtinc7ion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem at all. I misunderstood. When the parts are concerned, I am actually in a catch 22 area lol. Basically, I live in a great place for the metal you are right, but I also live in the middle of nowhere out here and our town being 14 miles across makes it hard to find anything. Which is why I jump on any possible parts I can. From my calling around I've found that not one junk yard within a two hour drive have an expy of the same gen as I. So sad lol. But again, thank you for time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Beardskii

Reaction score
I want new great condition leather driver seats and passenger seat.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha don't we all. I think he is asking what parts would we recommend him keeping in case his current Expedition should need them.

I would keep the rims if you can find some cheap ones at a junk yard. My dad did that with his Bronco when it had to be totaled. We sent it off on 4 neon colored donut rims haha. Was a very sad sight to see. Keep switches for sure, especially if the switches are a match between the two trucks. Window switches, headlight switches, anything like that. Any plastic covers I would keep, dome lights, door lights, those break a lot and it would be good to have spares. Headlight housings and foglight housings as well as taillight housings would be good too. Really anything that is a direct match that comes off fairly easily.

I would much rather have a few boxes of parts in my garage collecting dust than having to shell out extra money just cause I did not take it off my last truck if you know what I mean.

Also depending on how the truck you are scrapping behaves electrically, it might be beneficial to pull the GEM out from underneath the dash. We need to get one for my mom's truck (I am not asking you for yours...) and they are around 300 bucks new.

I keep thinking of other stuff haha. If you pull the door panels, there are locking mechs in each door as you know. I am not sure if they are interchangeable between the model years, though I am sure they are. They are mostly just plastic pieces that hold the locking mechs in place. I would save those. The plastic clip in my drivers door is broken so now I cannot use the keyhole in that door and have to unlock it from the passenger side. Those are not easy parts to find either...

Oh this is a big one, rear window hinges. I had one of those suckers break in cold weather, big pain in the butt. The ones I have now came off of a newer model in which they redesigned the hinges, but still it would be worth saving them.

The Ford emblem! I had a buddy that had his ripped off of the front of his pickup once. That would be worth keeping, just break the grille and remove the two small nuts on the back side.

EDIT: I did not re-read your original post right away, so I know I mentioned some of the stuff you already pulled. Sorry about that haha.

Last edited: