What size tires should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Getting new tires for my new to me 2010 limited EL. Walmart is giving me a choice between 18 inch and 20 inch tires. In the past with other vehicles I’ve had retailers offer a tire size too big and wound up with wheel well contact when turning.

Is the 20 inch really going to be ok? Or should I stick with the 18 to be on the safe side?

Any input would be really appreciated.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Just a warning: Never, EVER, buy tires from Wallyworld... why, you may ask ?

Cause they are shit, bottom-of-the-barrel crap that were made exclusively for them, to reach a certain price point, and cutting whatever corners necessary to get there... been there, done that, never again !

My son bought some of their cheap Goodyear's for his car, which are normally really great tires, and they were supposed to be 65k mile tires, which ended up lasting about 22K miles....

Then when he went back there to get them replaced under warranty (prorated of course) they refused and said F you, not our problem, contact the mfgr....

Unlike my SR-A's on my 2011 EL Limited, which I have put over 50K hard highway & construction site miles on and they still look almost new ! But of course I got them from my favorite tire shop, who, at the time of purchase, made it clear that if I managed to wear them out before hitting the rated mileage, just bring 'em back for a pro-rated replacement !

Anyways...

YES, the diameter of you existing wheels will dictated what size tires you can use, unless you plan on replacing them too...

And on most Expeditions I have seen, including mine, there should enough room to move from an 18" to a 20" tire & wheel, assuming of course, that you stick with the recommended sidewall height and tread width too, and that your vehicle's suspension has not been lowered or altered downwards from the stock specifications...

Good luck !

And just an FYI, Goodyear usually has some pretty good rebates on their tires, ranging from $100-200 per set of 4, which you get back in about 30 days via a visa debit card, if you submit your claim online :)

eddytheexpy

Reaction score
So my 2011 limited EL had the factory 20inch rim option when I bought it. The tires were 275/55 R20 and everything was fine. Since then I did the 2.5” RC leveling kit. Now I have 275/65 R20s and still no interference BUT I have ~1/4” clearance from the upper control arm due to the new geometry with the leveling kit.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a warning: Never, EVER, buy tires from Wallyworld... why, you may ask ?

Cause they are shit, bottom-of-the-barrel crap that were made exclusively for them, to reach a certain price point, and cutting whatever corners necessary to get there... been there, done that, never again !

My son bought some of their cheap Goodyear's for his car, which are normally really great tires, and they were supposed to be 65k mile tires, which ended up lasting about 22K miles....

Then when he went back there to get them replaced under warranty (prorated of course) they refused and said F you, not our problem, contact the mfgr....

Unlike my SR-A's on my 2011 EL Limited, which I have put over 50K hard highway & construction site miles on and they still look almost new ! But of course I got them from my favorite tire shop, who, at the time of purchase, made it clear that if I managed to wear them out before hitting the rated mileage, just bring 'em back for a pro-rated replacement !

Anyways...

YES, the diameter of you existing wheels will dictated what size tires you can use, unless you plan on replacing them too...

And on most Expeditions I have seen, including mine, there should enough room to move from an 18" to a 20" tire & wheel, assuming of course, that you stick with the recommended sidewall height and tread width too, and that your vehicle's suspension has not been lowered or altered downwards from the stock specifications...

Good luck !

And just an FYI, Goodyear usually has some pretty good rebates on their tires, ranging from $100-200 per set of 4, which you get back in about 30 days via a visa debit card, if you submit your claim online :)
Has this poster said do not ever ever buy tires from Walmart

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will say their auto batteries have done me well. I replaced one in my 2010 from there this weekend that has been in it for 6 years...

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I will say their auto batteries have done me well. I replaced one in my 2010 from there this weekend that has been in it for 6 years...
Well than perhaps their batteries are of better quality than their tires, I don't know, cause I get mine from the local NAPA store, who offers & honors their 24 month, prorated warranties, which I recently utilized for my son's car, and received a $125 credit towards a new one :)