'04 Air Ride Suspension, Lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stock04eb

Reaction score
Ok, everybody, new guy here, go easy. I have been reading the forums for a couple of weeks getting acclimated to it. I have tried the search function and read 6 pages of air ride topics but still do not have a definitive answer. So here goes...I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expy 4x4, with the air ride suspension...can I do a truxx or daystar or anyother lift/leveling kit??? What is the definitive answer to this/
I am due for new tires and am kind of bored with the stock setup and was thinking new rims and bigger tires with some kind of lift. I have some kind of "clunk" noise on my front left going over bumps that needs attention. My car is never low in the suspension but something is definitely amiss with the air ride because it hardly ever makes any noise whatsoever, no lowering or raising at all. Thanks for any input, looking forward to being a part of the board!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Others can chime in here, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't anything available to lift an Expy with air suspension, unless you want to toss the air bags and swap over to a spring setup.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah far as I know you cant lift a expy with air ride unless you have something custom built

OP
OP
S

stock04eb

Reaction score
Thanks, sure looks like that is the way. Do I have to do the quote/unquote conversion or is it a simple matter of buying some shocks and having them swapped out?

OP
OP
S

stock04eb

Reaction score
So I have an update on my expedition. Took it to the dealership this morning to find out what the clunk is in the left front end. I am told it is loose and worn lower ball joints, loose sway bar, an loose tie rods. All told, a little over a grand to just fix that. Service rep then proceeds to tell me my 4x4 module is out (I asked why it wouldn't go into 4Lo), that's a $700 fix. And I need a new master brake cylinder because it is leaking into the brake line??? And new brake pads for the front and new brake pads and rotors for the back. and in the fluff they try to upsell and new tires (needed) and the bill was going to be for over 5 Grand...
So...since I want to get a little lift out of the expedition and I have air ride suspension, I know I am going to have to do a conversion. The strutmasters complete kit looks like it will solve my ball joint, tie rod, sway bar problem while also converting my air ride to conventional. So probably better to do it that way, any other suggestions or advice?

lantz013

Reaction score
air ride.

so i have a 2001 eb exp
i would have to swap the air ride with shocks to lift with coil springs?