05 Expedition Oil Leak - Rear Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peakay

Reaction score
Has anyone had a differential leak on their expedition? We have been noticing oil in the driveway at the rear of our expy, which seems odd, but in looking under I found oil dripping off the diff. See photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114588...authkey=Gv1sRgCIefvrHM38eI9wE&feat=directlink

I'm guessing its an input/pinion shaft seal thats gone worng. Anyone had this before or have a better diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that you’re having this concern. Chances are I won’t be able to assist but if you’d like for me to look into this, please send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

peakay

Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that you’re having this concern. Chances are I won’t be able to assist but if you’d like for me to look into this, please send me your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Thanks Cory. 1FMPU17545LA17069 is the vin, approx. 90k miles. Closest dealer is theodore robbins in costa mesa, ca though i've had a couple bad experiences there.

what sort of help can you offer??

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
peakay,

I apologize, but I was referring to sending me a PM with your details. I sent you a message regarding your concern. Please check your inbox for the details.

Cory

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 06 Limited - leak was coming from the front of the diff seal.

fordfarm

Reaction score
SAme rear diff seal bad

I replaced the seal in mine 2 times. I have a 99 expy. not that hard to do if you get the correct tools. do not know why they go bad. Dealer said it is common problem. good luck