18' Which upgraded brakes to go with for trailering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmy123x

Reaction score
I need to replace rear brakes and rotors. I tow a boat that's around 4000 lbs. I want to go with better pads/rotors. Will do the fronts eventually too. Don't want slotted/cross drilled rotors. I used EBC solid rotors and Green pads all of the way around on my previous 2008 Expedition and am leaning to go that route, unless there's better recommendations.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a surge brake on the trailer? I tow my 7K camper with stock brakes. No issues, but my camper has brakes. I like Hawk LTS pads. I've see positive feedback on Powerstop Z36, but no experience with it myself.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Car Quest premium rotors and pads on my 2019 EXP but the pads gave a lot of dust. I switched to PowerStop z36 pads and dusts are way less with same stopping power. Car Quest pads are made by Akebono according to the part guys.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Trailer has no brakes
You're kidding! Get brakes on the trailer.

Even if the boat and trailer combined are "only" 4000 pounds I'd not depend on the truck to stop it all when really needed. If the boat by itself weighs 4000 pounds you really really need trailer brakes.

I'm not sure your trailer is legal. Florida requires brakes if your loaded trailer exceeds
3,000 lbs. gross weight -- all wheels
Under 3,000 lbs. gross weight - no brakes as long
as total weight of trailer does not exceed 40% of
gross weight of towing vehicle and trailer when
connected and able to stop within 40 feet from an
initial speed of 20 mph. (14 feet per second
deceleration)

Boats launched by submerging the trailer need surge brakes as water, especially sea water is not kind to electric brakes.

-- Chuck