I'm about to do something stupid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also be sure to do some "diligence" with respect to dealers and service stations around you. Here's my gripe on this point, Ford is selling vehicles that cost as much as BMW X5's and even lower model X7's. Granted, those don't have the same room and some of the features the higher priced expy's have, but the dealer and service experience for good friends of mine that own those get is night and day from what we get. I know, I just spent another 5.5 weeks without mine, it's going back tomorrow because the tech replaced the wrong front axle shaft, and I still have to take it back once the parts are available for the front seat belt recall. All that being said, I love driving this thing but when there are, and there will be issues, the service experience is terrible for cars that can be $80K+. I'm not claiming BMW's are any more reliable, or less, I'm just saying the impact on my life was painful and there's more to come. Funny part, they wanted my loaner to initially be an escape, then a ranger, but luckily I stood my ground and had an F150 and a 2024 expy. I will say, I found numerous issues in both of those vehicles while using them for loaners, so I'm not inclined to say the quality is any better.

i.e. look at this. I know, it's just trim, but for a vehicle to have just arrived at the dealer, had 4.2 Mi on it, and this is what you see when open the drivers door? There was black, greasy hand prints on the headliner in the back. The F150 blew a shock at less than 1k miles. WTAF?

I actually preferred the screen in the F150, it was far more functional but the expy was only an XLT so it had the more basic screen. The F150 was far more loaded, but again it was higher up, still had plenty of functional buttons, and was larger but not the giant TV sized screen.

I also know that folks on here with the Navi are getting better service, a little more akin to what I see on the nicer imports, but that insane. Additionally, I get that some folks have 3-20 cars and so being without one isn't a big deal, it is more a big deal for me.

You make some very valid points regarding service.

I’ve owned and driven vehicles for 50+ years. I began buying new vehicles only in 1975. I have purchased a lot of new vehicles over the years - mostly GM and Dodge, with my first Ford (Expedition) in 2015. I’ve had a lot of warranty, recall and customer-pay work done at various auto dealers.

Without a doubt - Ford dealers consistently provide the worst service (warranty and customer-pay).

I’ve twice had to wait while my Ford was parked at the dealer for 3-months, awaiting repair parts from Ford (not drivable). I had to wait one year and one day for a safety recall Ford part.

The past several years Ford has had the highest number of safety recalls issued - and the highest number of vehicles recalled for safety reasons. This is a good indicator of the poor quality of Ford products. Even their CEO admitted publicly the safety recalls was his number one concern.

I don’t have an answer, but Ford continues to have a variety of major quality issues (the 10-speed transmission and cam phasers issues are just two examples of widespread issues that require major repair work).

My wife and I are preparing to replace our vehicles with new ones and I won’t be looking at a new Ford. I’ve been burned too much with my last new (and only) Ford vehicle and would not take a chance with them again.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your point is well taken. Are there advantages to the 15.5" display that I might miss if I didn't have it?
I can't really speak to specifics as I have the smaller screen in my 2019, however I did have a 2024 F150 while the Expy was getting the transmission rebuild, and I couldn't wait to get my Expedition back, except for the screen, I did miss the big F150 screen when we turned it in. I love running the split screen between navigation and Spotify, and the extra real estate is nice for that. Yes, I use navigation even in my home town because google will save me a lot of headaches when there's an accident by rerouting me.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly it sucks, I love the way this thing drives, I did massive amounts of research ahead of time and it felt like Ford was turning a corner, then Covid hit and it was a cause and an excuse for things to get things much worse, quickly. When this thing is reliable, it's great! But I have a 2019, which I believe is about the perfect year, got the kinks out of a new generation after a year, and just before covid quality hit.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also be sure to do some "diligence" with respect to dealers and service stations around you.
This is really the biggest concern I have with Ford. I feel like a second class citizen in any dealings I have had with Dealers in my neck of Georgia.
My wife and I are preparing to replace our vehicles with new ones and I won’t be looking at a new Ford.
Don't think I will ever buy another Ford either. I was too spoiled with the Infinity dealership in Highlands Ranch to appreciate a Ford dealer who acts like he's doing you a favor to take your vehicle and sit it in his lot for weeks before even working on it. Incredible they continue to stay in business. The Infinity dealership made appointments and did the work that day AND they provided a comfortable environment to wait with free drinks and snacks. I've said before, I'll be considering the dealership I buy from next time just as important (maybe more so!) as the vehicle I intend to purchase.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is really the biggest concern I have with Ford. I feel like a second class citizen in any dealings I have had with Dealers in my neck of Georgia.

Don't think I will ever buy another Ford either. I was too spoiled with the Infinity dealership in Highlands Ranch to appreciate a Ford dealer who acts like he's doing you a favor to take your vehicle and sit it in his lot for weeks before even working on it. Incredible they continue to stay in business. The Infinity dealership made appointments and did the work that day AND they provided a comfortable environment to wait with free drinks and snacks. I've said before, I'll be considering the dealership I buy from next time just as important (maybe more so!) as the vehicle I intend to purchase.

Excellent dealer service (warranty and customer-pay) drives repeat customers and new-vehicle purchases (even when the subject vehicle has a lot of issues).

Bad dealer service drives customers away, and causes them to tell others of the problems.

Any dealer can sell someone a new car for the first time - it is the repeat customers that are happy with the vehicle service that keeps them coming back to the business and brand (and telling others).

Lumberjack

Reaction score
I currently own about 15 vehicles and just as many pieces of equipment if not more. Find a dealership that cares about the customer and wants repeat business. We love our Timberline and will be ordering a 26 model as soon as possible. This said we also love our dealer. Even when we did have a problem they put us in another expedition (limited). I have had all the same problems with service at Ford Chevy Dodge Toyota Cat JCB Takeuchi John Deere Mack Volvo and Peterbilt. The only manufacturer I haven’t ever had problems with is Kenworth. I’m sure that’s just a luck. My Chevy 4500 I drive for work every day is getting a new motor at its second dealership after the first dealership had it for 5 months rebuilding the top end.
Buy the expedition because it’s comfortable it’s reasonably priced for what it is and you like it. Don’t put too much stock in the whining you her about all the time. No one ever tells you how good the steak was 98% of the time, they only complain when it’s wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpeg
    IMG_1400.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 2

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
Also be sure to do some "diligence" with respect to dealers and service stations around you. Here's my gripe on this point, Ford is selling vehicles that cost as much as BMW X5's and even lower model X7's. Granted, those don't have the same room and some of the features the higher priced expy's have, but the dealer and service experience for good friends of mine that own those get is night and day from what we get. I know, I just spent another 5.5 weeks without mine, it's going back tomorrow because the tech replaced the wrong front axle shaft, and I still have to take it back once the parts are available for the front seat belt recall. All that being said, I love driving this thing but when there are, and there will be issues, the service experience is terrible for cars that can be $80K+. I'm not claiming BMW's are any more reliable, or less, I'm just saying the impact on my life was painful and there's more to come. Funny part, they wanted my loaner to initially be an escape, then a ranger, but luckily I stood my ground and had an F150 and a 2024 expy. I will say, I found numerous issues in both of those vehicles while using them for loaners, so I'm not inclined to say the quality is any better.

i.e. look at this. I know, it's just trim, but for a vehicle to have just arrived at the dealer, had 4.2 Mi on it, and this is what you see when open the drivers door? There was black, greasy hand prints on the headliner in the back. The F150 blew a shock at less than 1k miles. WTAF?

I actually preferred the screen in the F150, it was far more functional but the expy was only an XLT so it had the more basic screen. The F150 was far more loaded, but again it was higher up, still had plenty of functional buttons, and was larger but not the giant TV sized screen.

I also know that folks on here with the Navi are getting better service, a little more akin to what I see on the nicer imports, but that insane. Additionally, I get that some folks have 3-20 cars and so being without one isn't a big deal, it is more a big deal for me.

Some pretty solid advice. Some dealer networks are great, but not the Ford one I'm near. I'm in a large metro area and I had to book weeks in advance for an appointment, and spend another several days just to diagnose (without a loaner). This is the first car brand I've experienced this.

zeecarr

Reaction score
The latest software makes much better use of the knob that is built into the 15.6 inch screen. A quick touch can bump the settings up and down, it also now puts the knob in control of the temperature or fan or seat a/c etc to easily dial it in to the exact setting you want. This was a huge improvement that loaded a couple of months ago... I liked having the knob for volume control despite having volume as one of the MANY control buttons on the steering wheel, and now being able to use that knob for much more is way better.

OP
OP
B

bb37

Reaction score
The latest software makes much better use of the knob that is built into the 15.6 inch screen.
Thank you. I've been watching YouTube videos of the 15.5" display in action and I've noticed this in a few recent videos. Looks like a useful update to the software.