1999 Expedition 5.4 #3 cyl misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannyboy1961

Reaction score
I recently got gas and the next morning truck started jumping up and down going down the road. I believe that I got water in the gas that day.

Have tried adding fuel additive and a little alcohol when putting gas in (2 times). Things have improved somewhat, but now I'm getting PO303 code #3 misfire and still running pretty rough. I'm kinda new at the repair end as my partner always did the physical work, unfortunately he passed away recently. What should I check to try and figure out my problem, or will it inventively go back to normal with time?

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case it’s not the gas, I wouldn’t check to see if there is any water from the heater hoses leaking first..If good, switch a coil from #2, and see if it moves the misfiring.. If no change, pull the plug and see what it looks like.. If you have a camera probe, would be better..
So many variables, but this is a start ..

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but now I'm getting PO303 code #3 misfire and still running pretty rough.
I've encountered several P030x codes on my 99 and each time was due to a faulty ignition coil. Billme's suggestion about switching coils is good because they're simple to change once you get to them and #2 & #3 are easily accessible. If you do find that it's bad, make sure to replace it with the same brand and model as the other three on that bank.