Brake problems after new pads and caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRN

Reaction score
2013 Expedition. Wife was noticing that she pulled to the left when applying brakes. Wasn't bad enough for me to chase, but recently the right front pads needed replacement. The left pads were probably only 70% used and the inner pad on the right side still had pad left, but the outer pad on the passenger side was completely used up. That fit with my diagnosis that the right caliper was not operating correctly.
Replaced the pads on the left front and had the rotor turned. Bought a reman caliper for the right. Had the rotor turned and replaced the caliper. Overall, not too difficult. Bled the system and took for a test drive. I can't build up brake pedal without pumping it. Bled all four wheels. No change. I decided that my brake line must be bad. Replaced the right front brake line. Rebled all four wheels. No change. I decided that I was sold a faulty reman caliper. Returned that for another. Rebled all four wheels.
I have forscan and did an ABS service bleed. Nothing seems to help. I cannot build up a solid brake pedal. I don't see how it could be related to the master cylinder as I did not have any pedal issues prior to changing the pads and caliper.
Any ideas?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did not have any pedal issues prior to changing the pads and caliper.

There is a thread on here about certain years have an extra tab on the brake pads. And if you get the pads without the extra tab you get the squishy brakes.

Do you still have the old pads to compare?

As far as the caliper, after installed is the bleed valve at the top of the caliper or the bottom?

If the bleed valve is at the bottom it also would leave you with squishy brakes.

OP
OP
T

TexasRN

Reaction score
Someone pointed this out to me yesterday. That is EXACTLY what happened. They sold me the opposite side caliper. Took me about 30 minutes to change and bleed and the brakes are working properly again. Thanks!