2000 4.6L - ambient air temperature sensor off by several degrees - UPDATE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lately, I noticed that the outside air reading on my display was 4F to 7F lower than the actual air temp. Does it mean I need new temp sensor, or can I just recalibrate (and how)? I think it is sensor, because the difference changes as the temp changes.
Any thoughts?
Also, how easy to replace the temp sensor? I believe it is under the front bumper.

UPDATE - replaced the sensor and no change in reading. 7-8 F below actual temp. UNTIL I started driving it. The temperature adjusted about 1 degree every 30 seconds until it was the correct one ! So problem solved. If you are replacing the sensor, the temp will start changing very slowly - don't be discouraged - it will get there.

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, how easy to replace the temp sensor?

It is behind the grill, in front of the radiator. (You can get at it from the top)

Open hood, first plastic piece removal,(on top of the radiator and grill)

and it's right there. (usually more towards the drivers side)
Easy access

mshields8

Reaction score
Mine has been unreliable for the last 10 years. To me, it's not worth fixing.
The wife likes to look at it. To me it's a bell (or whistle) that does not ring.
171,000 miles now. Still a good truck and our daily drive.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE - replaced the sensor and no change in reading. 7-8 F below actual temp. UNTIL I started driving it. The temperature adjusted about 1 degree every 30 seconds until it was the correct one ! So problem solved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you change the ambient air sensor, read your owner’s manual about its operation.

The display may not show the current ambient air temperature when the vehicle is first started, and may have to be driven several miles to display the correct temperature.
Bot the problem at all. It is consistently below the ambient.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bot the problem at all. It is consistently below the ambient.

My point was that AFTER you changed the ambient air sensor, it may not display the correct ambient temperature when the engine was first started - and that driving a few miles should cause the correct temperature to display (as you posted in #8).

I’m glad it was an easy fix.