2001 5.4L Sounds like a diesel when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjamba

Reaction score
My 5.4L sounds like a diesel when I start it up in the morning and then quiets down when warm.I use Amsoil 5w-20.Is this why they call this engine the RAT 5.4?How about the white residue under the oil cap when it is cold,Is this normal?

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Might be the cam phasers. Open the hood when you fire it up cold and listed for where the sound is coming from. If it sounds like it's coming from the front of the valve cover, then it's most likely the phaser.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
That depends on how much you're willing to do yourself. You need a special wedge tool to do the job and I don't know if you can rent the tool or not. I think you can get the phasers themselves for a couple hundred (don't quote me on the price). I've heard of shops charging anywhere from 800-1200 bucks to do both sides.

Best of luck.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be the cam phasers. Open the hood when you fire it up cold and listed for where the sound is coming from. If it sounds like it's coming from the front of the valve cover, then it's most likely the phaser.

Since in the begining of his post he states that he has a 2001 5.4L then it DOES NOT HAVE CAM PHASERS. The cam phasers came out in the 2004 3V 5.4L with the variable timing.

For a 2001 5.4L 2V it is more than likely the hydrolic lash adjusters. Try running a good motor flush thru it and change the oil again with fresh. If this does not make it quiter than you may need to take it in to have the the valvetrain adjusted ( shimmed up to get rid of the rattle and compensate for the worn adjusters ).

Also a small amount of white residue when it is cold in the mornings and fairly warm during the day is normal ( condensate build up - especially if shut down when it is already cold outside ) But if there is more than a little you should perform a cooling system pressure test just to make sure that the head gaskets are not leaking.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Since in the begining of his post he states that he has a 2001 5.4L then it DOES NOT HAVE CAM PHASERS. The cam phasers came out in the 2004 3V 5.4L with the variable timing.

Guess I should have read the top line.

However the 5.4 3v with VCT came out in 2002. It was not used in the Expedition until 2005. It was introduced in the Fairmont in 2002, the Fairlane in 2003 and the F-Series in 2004. :D

Last edited:

Sloberdog

Reaction score
I have had the same issue for last 30K miles

Mine does the same thing, nearly every time I start it. I had my mechanic finally look at it and he found it to be the exhaust manifold. I am missing a 1-2 bolts holding it in (rusted out/broken) place and that it could be slightly warped. He told me the noise goes away as it heats up, it expands and seals itself. He told me that I could wait to fix it, but would eventually need to be replaced when the noise no longer goes away. Other than sounding like a diesel for 1-2 minutes a day, the motor continues to run well and pull my 6500 lbs toy-hauler up the grades.