2003 5.4L Eddie Bauer engine sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayrock65

Reaction score
My 2003 5.4L Expedition just started to sputter as I accelerated this morning. The check engine light came on as I was going up a hill and then went off as I was back on level ground. I dont know what the problem could be so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Sloberdog

Reaction score
Similar past experience, turned out to be two bad coil packs for me. Mine, sounded and felt like I lost a cylinder. It is common for these motors to suffer from coil packs after 100k miles.

OP
OP
J

jayrock65

Reaction score
it has 119k miles. Ill look into that. It doesnt do it all the time only when im on the gas or going up a hill almost feels like its not getting enough fuel or something along those lines

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the expedition works like my explorer did but, if it's a bad spark plug or coil then the check engine light will blink during the misfire. If you have a computer attached you can read the live sensors and you should get a code during the misfire. That will let you know which cylinder is missing.

Sloberdog

Reaction score
I do believe my check engine light was blinking. Worth checking out, especially since you are at 119K miles.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree get the code read and change the coil and plug! Just hope its not the back 2 on the passenger side, a real pain to get to! But its do-able

Reaction score
Noob here, quick question with the coil pack issue. Is the oem from Ford the issue or is there some other reason for them buggin out the way they do? When replacing them should you get a good aftermarket one or go with the same part from Ford, point is I am just wondering if the oem are just not very good or is there some other issue that keeps causing them to go bad?

Thanks again for your responses I have had My 2003 Expy Eddie Bauer for a few days now and I am loving it. I am just preping for what seams to be normal issues all vehicles have them but i have to say i am worried about the plug blowing out.....