2004 5.4L XLT - a/c blowing hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xooxer

Reaction score
Okay, so the problems started before the a/c konked out. A little history. My alternator was going bad, and in the process of replacing it, I severely damaged the negative battery post (ripped it right out of the casing!!). Somehow, the battery still worked and tested as good, so I continued using it because I am broke and couldn't afford a new alternator and battery. It did make my headlights resemble strobe lights, though. Flickery as all get out, but it started and ran.

Jump to 5 miles down the road, in the McDaddie's drive through. It was hot that day, so I kicked on the AC. Immediately I lost power, the engine stalled, and I had to jump start it to get out of there. A nightmare, to be sure.

After the fiasco, I tried the a/c again, and now it only blows hot air. It has to be electrical. I checked the fuses and they seem good. Tester lights up. Visually inspected them and looks good.

The line in the engine compartment does get cold and frosty, so I figure the compressor is okay. Weird thing is, if I turn the fan to the lowest setting, the air does feel cool. Not cold, but cool. If I turn it all the way up, it's just hot.

Now, my blend door actuator is bad. I don't think it works at all anymore. It used to click a bunch, then one day it just went silent and has not made a noise since. Even then, my A/C would still blow cold air. Perhaps not the coldest air, but wherever the blend door stopped, it was still allowing the A/C to work good enough. I don't honestly believe the bad actuator is involved in this issue, but I do know it is completely busted, and had been for quite a long time before I lost A/C.

I just replaced the battery and one of the terminals. I was hoping the A/C system just needed a reset, and swapping the battery out would take long enough for the charge to bleed out and let it reset. No luck. It still blows hot.

So, now I'm thinking a sensor or something might be the issue. I could really use some insight, though. I live in NM and these 90+ days are killing me. I need to chill, stat!

Help!

~Ring of Fire

Last edited: