Oil Capacity? How much Should I put in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nochruto

Reaction score
Just wondering on the 3 Gen Expy, do you guys fill it with full 6 QT every time? I feel like when draining I only get about tad over 5 QTs out (with the Front end lifted). How much Oil are ya'll actually putting in? I put 5 in and dipstick shows about right? should I just go ahead and put in the extra qt? Not sure which rule to trust, how much I take out, the dipstick, or the manual.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put in about 7L (a little over 7qt) of oil each time and it brings it to the very top of the dipstick crosshatch.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
The OEM standard capacity is 6 Quarts AFAIK, which is what the tech put in my 011 EL the last few times, but for the most accurate read on the actual oil level, the following is required:

A) Vehicle is parked on a flat, level surface
B) Engine should be either at normal operating temp, or completely cold, but only after not running for about 30-60 mins...

If the above results in the dipstick showing a normal "full" level, which is just at or near the top of the checkered marks on the dipstick, then you are good...if that takes 5-6 quarts to accomplish, then that would be normal for a vehicle of this age, since wear & tear inside the engine, oil pump etc could result in not getting 100% drainage.....

BUT, what you do NOT want to do is to overfill it, as this is a sure-fire way to start blowing out gaskets and damaging the oil pump, among other things :D

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again, this question is USELESS without the year. The 3rd Gen had more than one Engine option.

Also as @BigOleFordFan said the general wisdom on overfilling is to not.

That is not quite accurate for the 15-17 with the 3.5EB V6TT motor. Most with experience with the modern EcoBoosts will tell you to slightly over fill them on oil changes. Basically a 1/4, to 1/2 quart beyond the full line. So use the procedure above to get to full, THEN add a 1/4-1/2 a quart.

Again, knowing the year/motor is important to the question.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
Six on the money in my 16'. I found that if you are only needing 5 it is because the o-ring on the dip stick tube gets dry and hard thus preventing full insertion of the dip stick and inaccurate reading.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Six on the money in my 16'. I found that if you are only needing 5 it is because the o-ring on the dip stick tube gets dry and hard thus preventing full insertion of the dip stick and inaccurate reading.
Yours is one I would recommend a slight overfill.

sulatek

Reaction score
The OEM standard capacity is 6 Quarts AFAIK, which is what the tech put in my 011 EL the last few times, but for the most accurate read on the actual oil level, the following is required:

A) Vehicle is parked on a flat, level surface
B) Engine should be either at normal operating temp, or completely cold, but only after not running for about 30-60 mins...

If the above results in the dipstick showing a normal "full" level, which is just at or near the top of the checkered marks on the dipstick, then you are good...if that takes 5-6 quarts to accomplish, then that would be normal for a vehicle of this age, since wear & tear inside the engine, oil pump etc could result in not getting 100% drainage.....

BUT, what you do NOT want to do is to overfill it, as this is a sure-fire way to start blowing out gaskets and damaging the oil pump, among other things :D
that is what I belive
Thanks

callwill

Reaction score
I thought that was why we had marked dipsticks. Drain and refill with 6. check dipstick, add if needed. Run it a bit, short trip maybe check again add if needed.