Dealer Overfilled Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This situation requires a deeper look. Believe me, the dealers don’t find qualified people that went to a proper apprenticeship program. I send my boy to Europe for a in depth mechanical apprenticeship. He run circles around our local guys upon his return in everything practical and theoretical, never mind keeping his workplace neat and organized.
Nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore and our apprenticeship programs are mediocre and pass people that shouldn’t be anywhere near customers cars.
This applies to all other trades also.
No dealer shop touches my vehicle if I can avoid it.

I no longer do most maintenance on my vehicles due to four prior major surgeries.

Last week I took my Expedition to the Ford dealer (where I have it serviced) for an oil + filter change, and tire rotation.

When the vehicle was done, I got in it after checkout. On the front center console armrest was two large smears of dark oil (light Dune interior color). On the right front seat was a printout telling me my battery tested low and the RR tire was out of alignment.

While I was reading the paper from the seat, I received a text from the dealership telling me that I was “all green” - with no issues found on the multi point inspection. The girl that checked me out said nothing about the paper on the seat.

When I got home I parked in the garage, then an hour or so later I pulled out to leave. There were two puddles of dirty oil under the front of the car (which I cleaned off my garage floor).

Several days later I received a survey from Ford asking me to rate the service. I gave poor scores and listed the issues (that I listed above).

I know this is just one example - but dealerships charge a PREMIUM price for labor - and often provide poor service. The up-charge that really irritates me is the shop-supplies charge, on top of the labor charge. For an oil change, the dealership added $8.xx for this charge.

Later, I removed the Motorcraft battery and took it to the Motorcraft jobber where I buy my vehicle batteries. They tested the battery and said it was fine - no issues. I have a feeling the Ford dealer was trying to sell me a new battery - although it was 11-months old.