Thoughts on this oil leak... Valve Cover Gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They usually over tighten them when they do the cam phaser repair and crack the covers.
I blame the techs about 50% and the use of plastic for valve covers 50%. Aluminum properly stamped is just as light and definitely stronger. everyone knows that most plastics also break down over time with temperature fluctuations, caustic substances, etc.

Last edited:

Benztech

Reaction score
I had the same scenario. I did the plugs and coil first, and had no issues when I took it in for the leak repair under ESP.

Scooter455

Reaction score
Luckily with the amount of residue and the fact that the oil is literally pooling on top of the cover, and the passenger side is clean as a bell, I think it's hard to argue. The biggest issue is now since I'm in the ESP, I'm guessing they will make me pay my deductible even though it's apparently a very well known issue 2016 and above.
I have the same issue - The oil is puddled up on the groves in the top of the valve cover - Just sent pic to my service advisor. I actually complained about it right after they changed the phasers and they did nothing.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to actually find the crack and take a good photo of it from a couple different angles. exactly right where several youtube videos say to look.

Attachments

• PXL_20240712_212342527.jpg
    PXL_20240712_212342527.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240712_212354521.jpg
    PXL_20240712_212354521.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 15

Scooter455

Reaction score
So I was literally just getting ready to change out my spark plugs and coils, when I went to pull the engine cover off and found this mess. It only appears to be on the drivers side, the passenger side looks completely fine. Any thoughts? Is this likely a bad intake manifold gasket? It's pooling in the bolt hole just below the two gray hoses, above the filler neck so it's not like it's just leakage from pouring in fresh oil. The entire drivers side valve cover looks covered in the dirty goopy oil layer. If anything, i'm wondering if this is a left over issue from the phaser replacement I had a couple years ago.

Appreciate some thoughts, it is under warranty but now I'm thinking I shouldn't do the plugs and coils till after I have it looked at so they can't blame me for something.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same identical issue

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Scooter455
So frustrating. Clearly a defect. Just out of curiosity, did you have your phasers done?

Several of the Youtube vids and some info from makuloco say two common things seem to be part of this, between 40 and 50k miles, and having the phasers replaced.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good lord - so it's been a week, 7 phone calls and 3 voicemails, and still haven't gotten ahold of service manager at my usual dealership. I have only one decent one with 20 miles, it's hard to be positive about ford with build quality and the cusotmer interface to the company, their dealers.