2010 Exp cranks but occasionally wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Doniphon

Reaction score
Have 95k on engine; no other issues, well maintained; BUT when running for 15-20 min and then turning off engine for about 5-10 min., the car will crank (at a faster crank and slightly different sound than normal) but it won't start. Like it's not getting fuel? BUT, after trying a few attempts to start up, I let it sit for 5-10 min. and it starts and runs fine. No engine lights or codes. It has done this pretty consistently for about a month; drive 5 miles, stop for 2 hours, it starts up fine. Then drive for 5 miles, stop for 10 min. and it cranks but won't start. Let it sit for 5-10 min. and it starts up fine again. Drive home, let it sit overnight and next morning it starts fine; but the same problem exists again that day, no matter how full the fuel tank is, and I made sure the fuel tank is vented and no vacuum. Replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel pump and filter 20k miles ago in 2019 (I don't drive much!) but I don't want to take on this expense if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check battery terminals, ground connections, and wiring for any corrosion or loose connections. Poor electrical connections can affect starting reliability.