2017 Ecoboost 56k miles ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to listen to the vid but I don't have sound on my work putter so I'll listen tonight. FWIW Suzuki had some real issues with pistons crumbling after 30K miles years ago. The cause was found to be too much silicone in the alloy used to make them. The number of heat cycles they could handle was finite as many learned.

Typically, cracked skirts(remember, these aren't the 3" skirts of yesteryear, these are "high & tight" meaning the skirt is very short. What happens is the short skirts concentrate stresses caused by the piston trying to rock. Now, take a cold engine, start it and floor it and you will heat the pistons prior to the cylinder& jacket coming up to temp. This will cause expansion of the pistons, greatly increasing the stresses because they are now constricted in a cold bore......turbo-charging only makes this worse.

I'll post up once i've had a chance to listen at home.

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the sound on here at work but the video is very dark due to the type of work we do on that putter.....can I ask, where is the mic being held for this vid?? Top/front of engine? Side? Hood closed or open?

jeff

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got the sound on here at work but the video is very dark due to the type of work we do on that putter.....can I ask, where is the mic being held for this vid?? Top/front of engine? Side? Hood closed or open?

jeff

Hood closed, phone in the wheel well above tire based on perspective I would guess driver side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to listen on a different set of speakers.. ...i wonder if what we hear is a degraded exhaust gasket and due to the number of pulses, I'd guess where all 3 have already been combined. Otherwise, wouldn't we only hear the pulses for that culture/port?

Jeff

OP
OP
RescueF250

RescueF250

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, to me almost sounds like excessive valve train chatter no popping but alot off clapping i guess you can say. Maybe ill run a compression test with IDS and see if i have any correlation to a certain cylinder.

OP
OP
RescueF250

RescueF250

Reaction score
Quick update, showed the TSB message to a close friend at a dealer her suv is going in monday, under warranty if this is the correct issue. It does go up to 60k miles. Thanks for all the input. Let yall know soon.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I bet dealer will say normal. Mine sounds the same at 44k miles, but has since 32k when I bought it. Oil changes every 5k or less at dealer. I mentioned the noise at my last dealer oil change and the service writer said its normal and they all do it as they get more miles on them. I've heard many F150s making the same noise in traffic with windows down, and also heard many that are whisper quiet so who knows. To me it sounds like cam phaser locking pin maybe not working correctly to lock them at idle since noise goes away with any throttle input.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sy3FdMS8u3_DBPC-u-P_JrncDP_1cKmV/view?usp=drivesdk

Here is the video of the Sound.

This does not sound normal to me. Thoughts?

Oil was changed in December, Ford Oil and Filter, he is not sure of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely not normal. Tons of posts where dealer states “noise is normal “ which is code for ‘noise is common’ and eventually an engine tear down is agreed to by dealer ultimately finding problems w VVT on ecos or oblong cylinder distortion on 5.0’s.

Abnormal engine chatting is not normal. Many people wait then finally experience a failure just as warranty expires when then the dealer states it’s not normal.

Many threads and posts on this on several forums.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not normal. Tons of posts where dealer states “noise is normal “ which is code for ‘noise is common’ and eventually an engine tear down is agreed to by dealer ultimately finding problems w VVT on ecos or oblong cylinder distortion on 5.0’s.

Abnormal engine chatting is not normal. Many people wait then finally experience a failure just as warranty expires when then the dealer states it’s not normal.

Many threads and posts on this on several forums.
I've always believed a better way to find out whats wrong with your car is visit the new car sales department of the dealer and tell them you'll be trading in your car. 9 times out 10, they'll ask for the keys so they can take a look and give you a fair trade value.

30 mins later, your car will be back with a laundry list of items that need to be fixed and that those are reducing your trade value. At that point, you say thanks, drive to the service department and hand the service advisor that same list. This works well if you're still under warranty.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bob, that's sneaky enough that I like it. You know the old saying, can't get through the front door, sneak in through the back. Up untill Tuesday of this week, I drove a different 3.5/3.7 Ford Transit. Some were turbo, some not. I don't ever remember once, any of the 40 or more different ones, with up to 60,000 miles, making a peep. No rattles, no pinging, no nothing. Even the turbos, which are a detuned version of the Expedition, ran strong. Theirs something going on with the Expedition motors, that needs to be challenged. I've seen this crap many times, by dealerships, and shops that don't want to own up! As much as I dislike them, an attorney may have to get involved.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk