2017 factory brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Plata

Reaction score
The Ford system noted I had a bad brake light on one side of the trailer when I hooked up my trailer the first time to the '17. Sure enough, there was a bad bulb. Hopefully just adding the box and setting the ECU to recognize it will provide the same information for you.

-- Chuck
You had the dealer update the computer after you installed the brake controller on your 2017 Expedition, correct? My dealer is saying it can't be done on a 2017 Expedition. Or was yours from the factory?

Don Plata

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Has anyone had a factory brake controller installed on a ‘17 EL without the max tow package? My dealer is telling me it can’t be done but I’m not convinced that is true. My dash has all the trailer options in the display center like sway controll, and add a trailer and trailer options. Thanks in advance.

What did you find out? Did you get it installed? My dealer is saying the same thing about 2017 Expedition.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealership. They wanted $118 flat fee. They had my Expedition on two separate occasions for 3 hours. They said they contacted the Ford engineer and the engineer said it can't be done on a 2017. The Ford Tech said they followed the steps to do it and it wouldn't work. They then said that it had to be installed by the factory to work. To which I said, why do they sell the part then? He said t is only for replacement not new. I asked, why are all the fuses, wiring and harness there then? They said it is cheaper to do it that way in the factory. At least they didn't charge me anything for no work done. I have a call into a second dealer to find out if this is true. Waiting to see what they say.

If this is true then I wouldn't be able to do it either, even if I had a ODBII and used Forscan, correct?

So has anyone on this forum had this done on a 2017 Expedition? Apparently the 2017 it can't be done.

Where do I get the ODBII and use ForScan? I followed the previous links in this thread and the ODII link didn't work.

Thanks everyone for your help.

OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_By4txlzFBFvDD

That is the device I use.
I have not done the brake controller yet but I also have a 2016.

I had the truck into the dealer getting to extra keys cut and programmed (free of charge to me). As they were doing it I asked if that was the same programmer they used to change the code for the individual modules? He said it was not possible. I mentioned Bambi mode and changing the DRLs to be the fogs and parking lights.
He said that is impossible to change as there is not that much control.

I said go stand I front of the truck put it in Park and his eyes got quite big.
I said nice DRLs aren’t they.

So just because the dealer says it is not possible does not mean it is true.
Question is for the 2017s is it worth a $100 gamble if your parts dept won’t let you return it.

Don Plata

Reaction score
Sorry, my 2017 XLT came with HD Tow which includes the electric brake controller.

Not sure why you can't find an OBD2 interface, it's hard to swing a dead cat around on the internet without hitting several of them. Here's what I use. <--- that's a link. You connect the truck to your PC with this thingie.

710UJMnGdQL._SX679_.jpg

-- Chuck
Yep, this is what I needed. Ordered and will try myself on Saturday when it arrives. I was also nervous about messing with the computer, but am willing to try now. I've done some ForScan reading up and I will give it a try. Worst thing, it doesn't work and I have an OBD connector and ForScan to use.

Don Plata

Reaction score
OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_By4txlzFBFvDD

That is the device I use.
I have not done the brake controller yet but I also have a 2016.

I had the truck into the dealer getting to extra keys cut and programmed (free of charge to me). As they were doing it I asked if that was the same programmer they used to change the code for the individual modules? He said it was not possible. I mentioned Bambi mode and changing the DRLs to be the fogs and parking lights.
He said that is impossible to change as there is not that much control.

I said go stand I front of the truck put it in Park and his eyes got quite big.
I said nice DRLs aren’t they.

So just because the dealer says it is not possible does not mean it is true.
Question is for the 2017s is it worth a $100 gamble if your parts dept won’t let you return it.

I think it is worth the gamble at this point, unless the Original poster, Char17EL ,of the ths thread says it didn't work with his 2017. Thanks to you and Chuck, I have the tools to make it work , if I can.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will the parts dept let you return the controller?
Some are weird about it. I try to order from Amazon as they are much better about returns but they don’t have as much as the dealer of course and I only order from Amazon if I am positive it is the right part.

Don Plata

Reaction score
I did order it from fordpartsgiant.com. I have an RMA with them and have explained what dealer has said. Waiting to see what they say on the return. Got it for $90. Dealer parts department wanted $120. At this point I think me trying the ForScan would not change anything on the return to fordpartsgiant.com.

OP
OP
Char17EL

Char17EL

Reaction score
Sorry for not following up on this. I just got my truck back from the dealer since i Settled for an aftermarket brake controller (only because it was free, i still plan to add the factory one) and they did a complete HACK JOB in installing it. So i am currently fighting with them to fix it and make it look professional. They keep telling me my vehicular is not set up to support the factory brake controller but it has all the components needed for it. So once they are done fixing there horrible install i will be putting the factory one in and activating it through ForScan.

OP
OP
Char17EL

Char17EL

Reaction score
They didn’t even use the brake signal wire that is already in the back they ran a new one and spliced into the factory brake controller plug.

E3C55E5A-43A7-4D4E-A1E8-ACEE084B117D.jpeg