2017 Replace Intelligent Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One Of the key FOBS for my 2017 Expy (Picture Below) is failing. Today the unlock button stopped working. I was able to get into the truck using the physical key inside the FOB. The FOB starts the truck fine and the lock button works but the unlock button is not functional. I looked in the owners manual and it indicates that this style intelligent FOB must be provided and programmed by the dealer, whereas the manual for my 2011 provides a programming procedure to introduce new FOBS into the system, which I have done.

Does anyone know a workable way to program these FOBS?

20240701_135447.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One Of the key FOBS for my 2017 Expy (Picture Below) is failing. Today the unlock button stopped working. I was able to get into the truck using the physical key inside the FOB. The FOB starts the truck fine and the lock button works but the unlock button is not functional. I looked in the owners manual and it indicates that this style intelligent FOB must be provided and programmed by the dealer, whereas the manual for my 2011 provides a programming procedure to introduce new FOBS into the system, which I have done.

Does anyone know a workable way to program these FOBS?

View attachment 81480

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, with the push-button start and intelligent fobs.

The 2015 Expedition owner’s manual had instructions on how to program one or more additional intelligent fobs IF the owner had TWO programmed fobs.

I bought a third fob from my Ford dealer and programmed the fob according to the directions in the manual - it worked perfectly.

Your vehicle should have the same system as mine - perhaps you could use the instructions in the 2015 manual to program a third fob? Note that you must buy the “hidden” door key separately and have it cut.

Here is a link to the 2015 manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2014.pdf

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, with the push-button start and intelligent fobs.

The 2015 Expedition owner’s manual had instructions on how to program one or more additional intelligent fobs IF the owner had TWO programmed fobs.

I bought a third fob from my Ford dealer and programmed the fob according to the directions in the manual - it worked perfectly.

Your vehicle should have the same system as mine - perhaps you could use the instructions in the 2015 manual to program a third fob? Note that you must buy the “hidden” door key separately and have it cut.

Here is a link to the 2015 manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2014.pdf
This manual seems to say the same thing as mine. It first describes how to program the Key FOB (older style which is inserted into ignition switch to start vehicle and program a new key and then on page 81 says the same thing that my manual says for the new style intelligent FOB, which is to see your authorized dealer to program additional keys.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This procedure, which I found in another post here, seems to make sense. The receiver slot is in the center console on the 2017 Expedition under the coin holder tray - pull the tray out and the bracket that holds the coin tray is the receiver slot for the FOB.

You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside the vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access keys readily accessible. If two previously programmed keys are not available, you must take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s) programmed.
Ensure that the vehicle is off before beginning this procedure. Ensure that all doors are closed before beginning this procedure and that all doors remain closed throughout the procedure. Perform this procedure exactly as described below, and perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. If any steps are performed out of sequence, stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again.
1. Place the new unprogrammed intelligent access key in the pocket inside of the center console.
2. Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal one time.
4. Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.
5. Press and release the brake pedal one time. The indicator on the Start/Stop button should begin to rapidly flash, indicating that programming mode has been entered and two programmed intelligent access keys have been detected in the vehicle.
6. Within one minute, press the Start/Stop button. A message will be displayed on the message center indicating that the new intelligent access key was programmed. If four intelligent access keys have already been programmed to your vehicle, you cannot program anymore and the message MAX # OF KEYS LEARNED will be displayed on the message center.
7. Remove the intelligent access key from the center console pocket and press the unlock button on the newly programmed intelligent access keys to exit programming mode.
8. Verify that the remote entry functions operate (press lock then unlock, making sure you end in unlock) and that the vehicle starts with new intelligent access key. If the intelligent access key has been successfully programmed, it can be used to activate the intelligent access with push button Start feature and can be used to start your vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
**EDIT** I checked my 2017 and finally found the spot to insert the Intelligent Key FOB location for manual start if dead FOB battery and in theory programming new FOB. It is under the change holder tray at the rear of the console and also serves as a bracket to mount the change holder, which is why I missed it at first glance. I ordered a non OEM FOB and will let you all know if the procedure outlined above works or not.

20240702_122100.jpg

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
**EDIT** I checked my 2017 and finally found the spot to insert the Intelligent Key FOB location for manual start if dead FOB battery and in theory programming new FOB. It is under the change holder tray at the rear of the console and also serves as a bracket to mount the change holder, which is why I missed it at first glance. I ordered a non OEM FOB and will let you all know if the procedure outlined above works or not.

View attachment 81506

The photo illustration in the owner’s manual for my 2015 Expedition had a wrong picture for where to place the intelligent fob for programming or to start the car (with a dead fob battery).