2017, time to replace spring/struts and deal with the load leveling shocks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 Limited that has 81k miles. As I prepare my outgoing 2010 for sale I've noticed just how much higher my 2010 is sitting. On the 2010 I had installed Monroe Quickstruts on all 4 corners several years ago and I've been very happy with that choice. Truck ride was higher and towing improved.

Now with this 2017 at 81k I'm assuming these shocks/springs/struts must be ready to be replaced. But the new ride has the load leveling (Nivomat) shocks in the rear. I'm curious if I should replace those with the same, and then get factory spec front shock/springs so that they are level? Otherwise, if I go to some other brand front shock/springs they may ride higher than the rear springs?

Has anyone been down this path? Has anyone installed replacement LL shocks in the rear?

klaus2014

Reaction score
I'm at 78k miles on my '17 and have done 22k+ miles of towing with our 8500lbs camper. I had a similar thought last summer of whether I should order a new set of rear nivomats. I emptied my trailer, took off the WDH, and got the tongue weight to around 600 lbs and drove around on some bumpy back roads for 10 minutes - the rear end was leveled perfectly. Based on my experience and our similar mileage, if the nivomat assemblies aren't visibly leaking, yours are probably still fine.

MAC1

Reaction score
I have a 2016 with 115K miles, HD Tow package, been towing a loaded 7200# enclosed race trailer since 2017. The rear shocks/suspension are fine…no issues.

MikeL867

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Limited with max tow. I am on my third set of Nivomats at 112k miles. I find they work very well, with the exception of the extreme cold up here in Northern Canada, when it’s -40 or colder, they will leak when you hit any significant bumps.