2018 Expedition AC blowing cold air and then quits blowing on long trips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tshutwell

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition XLT. Purchased in February 2023 with 86k miles. It now has almost 106k. For a few months now the AC will work fine and then over course of a long trip (2-4 hours usually) it gradually stops blowing (and it’s on Max AC). I have to shut the AC off for 5-10 minutes then it works fine again for maybe 30 minutes and then stops blowing again. I speculate that something is freezing up. Code reader came up with nothing. I’ve replaced the cabin air filter and the blower motor. This did not resolve the problem. Anybody else have a similar issue?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition XLT. Purchased in February 2023 with 86k miles. It now has almost 106k. For a few months now the AC will work fine and then over course of a long trip (2-4 hours usually) it gradually stops blowing (and it’s on Max AC). I have to shut the AC off for 5-10 minutes then it works fine again for maybe 30 minutes and then stops blowing again. I speculate that something is freezing up. Code reader came up with nothing. I’ve replaced the cabin air filter and the blower motor. This did not resolve the problem. Anybody else have a similar issue?

Your description is a sign that the front evaporator is freezing up, causing reduced airflow. This MAY be the problem: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209031-0001.pdf