2019 owner spends week in 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After spending a week in a 24 Tahoe earlier in the year, I was glad to be back in my 19. After a week in the new ford, I’m glad to be back in my 19. If take the ford over the Chevy again if buying new. Refinement and a better powertrain seals the deal. Over the course of the week, I put on 700 miles.

Just seems some of the refinement has been lost in 5 years at ford. I found the dashboard software to be downgraded. I was glad to see they gave me a Limited trim for my rental, but I quickly found out that has less content than before. Like no power running boards or power fold mirrors. Mine has a way better steering wheel, the grip is leather and bigger around. Not sure what caused that and if it was an option I got. I noticed the rental just didn’t have a great feel, so if you can option up when buying new, go for it.

I was pleased to see the touchscreen isn’t for everything, with common controls still having dials. That was a plus as I assumed it was one big iPad in there. My wife thought it was faster than ours. The rear hvac controls were hidden though, so fyi you have to hit the rear button to make them pop up on the screen.

The interior update goes over well. Oddly the seat with 25k of use felt not as good as mine with 32k.

The engine felt stronger, I’ve not kept up with ratings so maybe it should be. It felt to have better low range power. Was noticeably better when I filled up with 89. This one didn’t have the tow package, but didn’t have that sluggish feel that the ones I tested without it 5 years ago did. It wasn’t much stronger than my 19, but I could feel it.

This one didn’t have the ccd and had the smaller wheels. It comes down to what I noticed when I bought mine, the ccd has the Buick floaty deal going on. It’s better on taking big bumps and spreading the jolt out. It’s just your preference is all it comes down too. It took about three days for me to get used to the disconnected feel, then I decided I liked it that way. The taut feel of the standard suspension feels more stable on smooth roads, but will make you feel the bumps.

Back home I settled right in and just like the overall feel I have. The first few hours in the rental I was tempted to go get a new one to avoid the land mines the early ones have after some important updates. The looks won me over after I got to study it up close and the interior has a nicer look than I expected. It’s just the minor things that came up during the week that make me appreciate what I have more.

Last edited:

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with you. I drove a suburban (2024) for a week in Tahoe and I was missing my 2018 expedition immensely. On a side note Chevy has the dumbest shifting button I have ever seen. I will take my dial over it any day.

But the power was sad in the suburban. V8 sound is nice but man it was sluggish. Also the interior styling is sub par to me. (I will say I do not know what trim I had)

Anyway glad to be driving my Ford again.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I test drove two Tahoe's in my quest to buy a replacement for my Expy. One was a next to top trim Premier. The 5.3L was adequate. Nothing outstanding. I also drove a top trim High Country with the 6.2L. I'll say it was quick. My issue with both was how bad they leaned in corners. Terrible, almost scary. I did drive two Yukon's, a SLT and a AT4. I did find both of them rode very nice and didn't lean. I was rather pleased with them. But I think the bottom line is....I can't find ANYTHING I like more than my Expy. There's a few more things I want to drive, but I don't have high hopes.

Thanks to @Dice Roll for your write up.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Been there, done that, multiple times.....

I have yet to find a vehicle that can compete with or beat an expy in any meaningful way...

Funny thing though: My brother bought a top of the line 2024 Tahoe for his wife & a Suburban for himself earlier this year and seemed really happy with them, UNTIL he tried an Expy, albeit at my urging...

Guess what...he traded them both in for 2x '24 Expy's about 3 months ago, and hasn't stopped thanking me for the suggestion since...

#Expy4Me4EVA#

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2023 F150 FX4 and while I liked the bigger screen, I missed my Expedition with it's tighter turning radius and all the features I'm used to having. 2019 was a good year, and while it needs some updated parts (Cam Phasers and CDF Drum) I think that I'd rather have a pre-Covid built vehicle for the time being. Seems like more overall build issues on the newer ones and thanks to the chip shortage, Ford got used to giving less for more, and hasn't stopped.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I test drove two Tahoe's in my quest to buy a replacement for my Expy. One was a next to top trim Premier. The 5.3L was adequate. Nothing outstanding. I also drove a top trim High Country with the 6.2L. I'll say it was quick. My issue with both was how bad they leaned in corners. Terrible, almost scary. I did drive two Yukon's, a SLT and a AT4. I did find both of them rode very nice and didn't lean. I was rather pleased with them. But I think the bottom line is....I can't find ANYTHING I like more than my Expy. There's a few more things I want to drive, but I don't have high hopes.

Thanks to @Dice Roll for your write up.

Yup. A fully loaded Tahoe at 75mph was basically at its limit for confident driving. The expedition can go above 100 without me noticing. I drove them back to back and was glad to have the expedition.

I would say however, that the Tahoe is tuned better for city bumpy roads with more squishy suspension.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. A fully loaded Tahoe at 75mph was basically at its limit for confident driving. The expedition can go above 100 without me noticing. I drove them back to back and was glad to have the expedition.

I would say however, that the Tahoe is tuned better for city bumpy roads with more squishy suspension.

I will say that it is almost scary how stable the expy feels 100+... Passing some idiots on freeway and putting space between us, looked down and I was like $h!t. Was passed a hundred and didn't even notice. Oops.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won’t comment on how fast I’ve been in evading idiots that do stupid stuff on the interstate. I’ll say when I take emergency action, those ***** are a fast fading memory. My wife ******* about my driving constantly as some sort of ridiculous hobby, I’m kinda shocked she doesn’t comment on the emergency actions I’ve had to take to get away from dope heads, dimwits, and 1%er bikers playing games in traffic. Those Billy badasses lack the balls to keep up with a ford that goes so smoothly during emergencies.

CoolViper777

Reaction score
IMHO, the Expedition is better than the Navigator, as well as being head and shoulders better than the Tahoe/Suburban ilk.

We were looking to replace our trusty 2014 Town & Country late last year.

We tried Grand Highlanders (it was no bigger than our van), and a couple Tahoe's (surprised at the cheap plastic interior for $75k).

Then we tried and bought a CPO 2021 Navigator Reserve L. Much nicer and roomy, and real nice interior.
And yet after living with it for almost two weeks, we realized the interior wasn't nearly as well thought out as the T&C minivan. Big lack of cup holders. Plus the 30way front buckets for us were terrible, too confining and no matter how we adjusted the bottom bolsters, they were never flat. Very uncomfortable for us. And the sound lacked bass, very strange for the high end system, dealer checked and said it's working at spec. So we returned during the 14 trial period.

Then in February 2024, I found a nice used 2011 Lexus LS460 down in Wheeling WV, and when we went to pick it up (we're from Pittsburgh), the dealer had a 2019 Exp Limited. Wife liked it and so did I. More comfortable seats, better sound system, and many more cupholders located in better locations.

The Ford dealer in Wheeling had a pristine white 2019 Exp Platinum, with 23K miles, for almost half the cost and miles of the 2020 Navigator. Which we also purchased that day.

A win win for me and my wife. But since we bought two vehicles that day, while only originally planning on one, we had to leave the van and come back the next day and pick it up.

We're enjoying both vehicles. The wife mostly drives the Exp. What's with little women liking to drive these huge machines? :)