2019 owner spends week in 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO, the Expedition is better than the Navigator, as well as being head and shoulders better than the Tahoe/Suburban ilk.

We were looking to replace our trusty 2014 Town & Country late last year.

We tried Grand Highlanders (it was no bigger than our van), and a couple Tahoe's (surprised at the cheap plastic interior for $75k).

Then we tried and bought a CPO 2021 Navigator Reserve L. Much nicer and roomy, and real nice interior.
And yet after living with it for almost two weeks, we realized the interior wasn't nearly as well thought out as the T&C minivan. Big lack of cup holders. Plus the 30way front buckets for us were terrible, too confining and no matter how we adjusted the bottom bolsters, they were never flat. Very uncomfortable for us. And the sound lacked bass, very strange for the high end system, dealer checked and said it's working at spec. So we returned during the 14 trial period.

Then in February 2024, I found a nice used 2011 Lexus LS460 down in Wheeling WV, and when we went to pick it up (we're from Pittsburgh), the dealer had a 2019 Exp Limited. Wife liked it and so did I. More comfortable seats, better sound system, and many more cupholders located in better locations.

The Ford dealer in Wheeling had a pristine white 2019 Exp Platinum, with 23K miles, for almost half the cost and miles of the 2020 Navigator. Which we also purchased that day.

A win win for me and my wife. But since we bought two vehicles that day, while only originally planning on one, we had to leave the van and come back the next day and pick it up.

We're enjoying both vehicles. The wife mostly drives the Exp. What's with little women liking to drive these huge machines? :)
My wife is 5'1". In fall 2003 after driving Gen I and Gen II Expeditions for years, I decided I might like an Excursion; but, I was concerned that my wife might be overwhelmed. So, before ordering it, I brought one home from Ford (where I worked at the time) to let my wife take it for a spin. She seemed a little intimidated when she climbed in. I waited at the house for her to return, I figured 5 minutes around the block and she'd be back. She pulled back in the driveway 20 minutes later. With an ear to ear grin on her face, saying, "I've got to get me one of these!". That year we had a 2004 Jag XJR and a 2004 Eddie Bauer Excursion V10 4x4. Every morning we played rock paper scissors, the winner got to drive the Excursion, it was that much more fun to drive.