2021 expedition tranny issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigal93

Reaction score
I assume this was covered by powertrain warranty?
(i just got a 2020 Max w/ 44k miles- these posts make me nervous!)
Yes it is. Posted in other posts of my situation. 2021 max with 58000 miles and they are currently replacing transmission. Factory powertrain warranty.

ExpeditonSpec

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited and just had my transmission rebuilt due to a harsh down shift. The tech said he found gouges in CDF drum and said it’s common but the replacement parts have fixed the issue. He never had a 10 speed rebuilt trans come back

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited and just had my transmission rebuilt due to a harsh down shift. The tech said he found gouges in CDF drum and said it’s common but the replacement parts have fixed the issue. He never had a 10 speed rebuilt trans come back
My dealer said they’ve had at least a couple come back after rebuild, one puked before it left the dealership lot. Mine was rebuilt last October at 45k with new style CDF drum and parts, and is now getting a new factory crate transmission at 57,700 because the poor shifting has returned.

I suspect if it’s done *properly* by a skilled tech and they replace everything that’s damaged, the dealership rebuild could be successful. Mine could have been rebuilt poorly or something missed.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
My dealer said they’ve had at least a couple come back after rebuild, one puked before it left the dealership lot. Mine was rebuilt last October at 45k with new style CDF drum and parts, and is now getting a new factory crate transmission at 57,700 because the poor shifting has returned.
My uncle (service manager at a Ford dealer) said once they do the trans rebuild/replace and/or the cam phasers, they shouldn't need to come back. That said, my 2020 had the same experience as yours. Rebuilt at 54k in Feb. 2024, then replaced at 59k in July.

Original at 54k:
Torque converter clutch faulty. Disassembled trans and found TCC material scattered throughout trans. Found CDF cylinder bushing to have slipped down causing internal crossleak over sunshaft #3, with sunshaft #3 bushing scored and worn around the teflon seals. Found input shaft grooved and worn around teflon seals. Found seal debris in E clutch drum. -- Replaced CDF cylinder, sunshaft #3, input shaft, trans seals, torque converter, and all one-time-use parts. Cleaned valve body.
Then when I took it back at 59k:
Verified fluid full. No leaks present. Verified concern during test drive: harsh/delayed 3-4 upshift and heavy whine on accel. Suspect one or more of internal issue, CDF cylinder, input shaft, burned/worn F clutch fibers and E clutch seals. Install new transmission assembly (JL1Z-7000-E). Flush and refill to correct level, updated new shift strategy numbers to PCM. Test drive no longer exhibits issues.
It still has the pump whine. and 1-3, 3-5 are the harshest of any Ford I've ever owned but much better than before. I guess we'll see how long this one lasts. I do not hotdog it or tow anything and am pretty careful about shock-loading it doing dumb stuff. I do still wish it didn't skip gears.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My uncle (service manager at a Ford dealer) said once they do the trans rebuild/replace and/or the cam phasers, they shouldn't need to come back. That said, my 2020 had the same experience as yours. Rebuilt at 54k in Feb. 2024, then replaced at 59k in July.

Original at 54k:

Then when I took it back at 59k:

It still has the pump whine. and 1-3, 3-5 are the harshest of any Ford I've ever owned but much better than before. I guess we'll see how long this one lasts. I do not hotdog it or tow anything and am pretty careful about shock-loading it doing dumb stuff. I do still wish it didn't skip gears.
Was your replacement trans a factory new or a factory re-man?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They said it was brand new, and judging by all the labels still stuck to it and how clean it is, I presume they weren't lying.

You can research the part number for the transmission listed on your dealer invoice to determine if it was a new or rebuilt unit.

ExpeditonSpec

Reaction score
We just had this work done under warranty and has appeared to correct the issue. We have a 2021 Limited with 43k miles. Just passing along in case it helps anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 5