2021 Platinum/Rain-Sense Wipers Auto-Wipe on Dry Windshield and also at Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zelf24

Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue where the wipers automatically swipe on engine startup? The windshield is completely dry when this occurs. Courtesy wipe is turned off in the settings (not sure if this even matters). 2021 model, Platinum.

I know this setting is in the cluster settings, etc- but rain-sensing doesn't feel as intelligent as on my 2017 Mazda 6, and I'd like to leave this feature on, but not at the expense of ruining my blades or my dry windshield scraping and scratching grit across it.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have mine set to auto wipe, and this occurs every so often on startup. Rarely. Just something on the windshield where the rain-sensing video camera is. Never been an issue for me even though it is never good for the glass with a dry swipe. I find the auto wipe a great accessory.

OP
OP
Z

Zelf24

Reaction score
I have mine set to auto wipe, and this occurs every so often on startup. Rarely. Just something on the windshield where the rain-sensing video camera is. Never been an issue for me even though it is never good for the glass with a dry swipe. I find the auto wipe a great accessory.
Thank you for the feedback, NevadaGeo. I agree, it's a great feature, and I leave it enabled on my other vehicle. It's just something about Ford's implementation that even has my passengers beginning to comment on it now, so I wanted to see if I could gather some more info here and maybe get a handle on it. To be honest it's kind of embarrassing, and I generally keep a clean windshield so it has me perplexed.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, came standard with the Rain Sense wipers.

The feature never worked as designed and I found it to be useless. I turned the feature off in the settings manual quite some time ago and do not miss it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it is happening every time on startup. Most likely you have a small crack/ding in the windshield in the camera location. On startup it senses the ding as water, and wipes. It doesn't continue, because there is no change beyond that to trigger continued wiping. There is also the issue, that your windshield was replaced and the camera was not calibrated, or bumped during the install.

Like others mentioned, It will happen periodically at startup if there is crap on the windshield.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
My '011 EL has the rain sensing wipers too, but I don't recall it ever wanting to wipe on it's own when the glass is dry, even with dirt/dust/birdpoo being present when I start it up...but OTOH, when driving & getting an occasional sprinkle here & there, it will activate for a moment or 2...then shut off, unless the sprinkles continue... I presume that's the way they're supposed to work...

And last year when I had the windshield replaced, I remember the tech asking me if it had this feature, so he could be sure to order the correct glass :D

OP
OP
Z

Zelf24

Reaction score
If it is happening every time on startup. Most likely you have a small crack/ding in the windshield in the camera location. On startup it senses the ding as water, and wipes. It doesn't continue, because there is no change beyond that to trigger continued wiping. There is also the issue, that your windshield was replaced and the camera was not calibrated, or bumped during the install.

Like others mentioned, It will happen periodically at startup if there is crap on the windshield.
Thank you. No cracks or chips yet, but that theory makes perfect sense in that instance. I think I am erring on what you and Mr. Big said. I park outside, so its a possibility that nature is dirtying the windshield more so than it would if I kept it in the garage.

I keep comparing the Expedition's rain-sensing to my Mazda's (which also parks outside), but maybe this is just an indicator that my Mazda isn't sensitive enough.