2022 Expedition XLT 13.5 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptbligh

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies!

*when purchasing the tires I was aware of the extra weight but was still somehow hoping to do a little better around town. But not a big deal, we are happy with it. We took it up to the mountains on a sharp rocky road and we were glad to have solid tires.

* My F-150 has the max tow so it does have the 3.73. I think the Whipple tune and 91 octane helps the mpg.

*Today we did 17 mpg @ 80mph from Holbrook AZ to Tucumcari NM according to the computer. I was dumb and forgot to manually calculate. I will pay attention tomorrow and post that data.

* I am also interested to see difference in mpg between 70 mph and 80 mph.

*Are the factory tunes optimized for mpg or are their after market tunes that might help? The tunes more or less just change shift points and timing or is their more? Could a tune optimized for this larger tire size help? What about better air intake?

*Also if all factors remained the same what do we think the difference in mpg might be between 3.31 and 3.73 axles?

Overall I realize the expedition is heavy and the wheels/tires are heavy. Considering the hp these motors produce and how good these drive I feel like I should be pretty happy with m current mpg. Thanks again for the input!

I have the readylift kit with LT285/60/R20 Open County MTs and 3.31s. Turned a big, heavy brick into a bigger, heavier brick. I don't recommend it, and I will go down to a 275/60 non E tire when the time comes if I don't trade first.

With my setup on 93 octane, 10th gear is completely worthless so I lock it out, and it's in boost over 70 most of the time in 9th gear unless the road is very flat. Around town I like to drive in tow/haul mode otherwise the shift points are too low.

I will disagree with LCG on octane; anecdotally 87 octane makes me start going into boost just maintaining 60mph in 9th. I agree though with regards to the higher speeds, and it's even more pronounced with the lift and running larger tires.

After 30k miles, I'm averaging 16mpg with mostly rural 2 lane roads. By comparison, my leveled '21 F150, 3.5EB, 4x4 3.55s LT275/65/R20s is averaging 19.4 after 37k miles. F150 weighs around 800lbs less IIRC.

Grabbed the below values off a texas tech page, and assuming the values are correct this chart gives an idea of speed vs drag.

drag_plt.png

Knut

Reaction score

Expeditions have 275/65-18; 275/55-20 or 275/45-22 as original.

275/60-20 is short 20 revolutions per mile. Computer and speedometer doesn't know that you changed tire size.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A change in tires (55 profile to 60, plus a different more aggressive compound) decreased my mileage from about 18 to 16.5 or so. But this is all road dependent. On long straight interstate at around 75, it’s around 22. Acceleration really kills the average, though.

Lowering the speed, as noted above, will give significant mpg gains. I’ve experimented with this and can get the average up to 17.3 over a 6 month period of daily commute. In 3 days pushing 10 to 15 over the limit and more aggressive acceleration dropped that 6 month average down to 16.7.

(Note these are all relative numbers, and the new tires, although dropping the mpg, provide much better grip, braking and control in all seasonal conditions).

KenK

Reaction score
My 2018 Max 4x4 with HD towing and .373 gears has a lifetime average of 19mpg over 50K miles. The only modifications are 1" lift and heavy duty skid plates(adds a little weight), still on origial tires. It is truely mixed driving, heavy city, some country, and hwy. Most Hwy driving is at 75mph. Only some light trailer towing about 2K lbls.
Am hoping to replace tires with new style KO3s. Does anyone have information if these are available in our size?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm totally amazed that people buy these and expect to get good gas mileage. Take a look at it, it has the aerodynamics of a damn cement block. Look at the weight of it. Nothing that heavy is going to be economical. Then of course pick it up with a lift kit and big ass ties with real "blocky" tread design. We all want out trucks to look nice and most have done it at one time or another, it's called marketing and we buy into it. With mine, if I see 17mpg on the highway at sea level doing 80mph wth a 4WD, with 3:73's I'm good. I learned long ago there's always a trade off.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Expeditions have 275/65-18; 275/55-20 or 275/45-22 as original.

275/60-20 is short 20 revolutions per mile. Computer and speedometer doesn't know that you changed tire size.

275/65R18
275/55R20
285/45R22

the 18 and 22 are identical OD and rev/mile, while the 20 is 0.6% smaller, and 3 rev/mile different (632 vs 629).

Ugh_J

Reaction score
My 2020 with 275/60/20 Hankooks at ~35psi, 3.31 AR, and the roof rack crossbars gets about 16 around town (I drive sedately 95% of the time), about 23 highway @ ~65-75, and about 20-21 at my typical 83mph if I can stay in cruise control and not deal with too many idiots. I just had plugs/coils done and new transmission and haven't driven it much yet, so that might change.

Parents' 2022 Max Platinum with same setup but 265/70/18 Michelin Defender LTX (also ~35psi) and no roof rack crossbars gets about +3mpg versus mine. We just took a trip in it from DFW to Montgomery, AL driving about 70-75 the whole way with 3 adults and packed to the roof with probably 1000lbs of luggage and stuff (ride was GOOD!) and got 25.4 going east and 24.2 coming back west. We didn't have too much traffic and were on bluecruise for most of that.