2022 Timberline Stock Tire Issues - Recommendation For New Tire Type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KetMalice

Reaction score
So I have a 2022 Timberline with 48k miles. It has been 90% highway miles. I have two tires that I have had to put air in every couple of months. Over the weekend the light came on for one of the tires and I inspected the tires pretty thoroughly. It just so happened to have rained hard for 2 days straight, when I was looking for nails etc. I saw that in between the treads the tire is basically rotting and I could see dozens of air bubbles where air is escaping from my tire. It's bad on two of the tires and I noticed it on 1 other tire.

So, with 5k miles I ended up running over something and it ruined the tire, so 1 I had to replace. I wonder if there's some issue with the batch of tires Ford put on at the factory. That seems really dangerous. I attached a photo, it's easier to see on a video I took. But lots of places where bubbles are forming on the cracks.

I think I may want to replace the tires with something else. Has anyone else had good luck with some other tires? I am okay with some aggressive tires.

I've had several sets of BF Goodwrench All Terrain T/A tires on other vehicles before. Thinking about putting them on.

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order the Falken AT4 in stock size, but I'm worried about running into vibrations at higher speeds.

One thing I noticed on the Timberline stock tires, is that the tread pattern looks like nothing else in the A/T category. Its got these jagged vertical veins (vertical like a street tire).

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
50K miles is pretty good mileage for a OE tire, but tread cracking at about 2 years old sounds sketchy.

BFG All Terrain KO2's are excellent tires, but expensive. they are good on road and off-road, good in dry, wet, and snow, and surprisingly quiet for a serious offroader, and they last a decently long time.

OP
OP
K

KetMalice

Reaction score
50K miles is pretty good mileage for a OE tire, but tread cracking at about 2 years old sounds sketchy.

BFG All Terrain KO2's are excellent tires, but expensive. they are good on road and off-road, good in dry, wet, and snow, and surprisingly quiet for a serious offroader, and they last a decently long time.
I ended up putting KO3’s on. I went to discount tire and they were able to give me $50 credit for each of my tires under Good Years warranty.

They look good, so far it’s not that bad on sound and handling.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used the KO2's for a lotta miles on a Tacoma 4x4, and a F250 4x4, and they lasted a long time and never disappointed. as soon as the crappy OE Goodyear Wranglers on my 18s wear out halfway, I am going to put a full set of Ko2 or KO3 ..

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my Sailun Terramax HLT tires. Super quiet and no vibratiin at highway speeds as well

cptbligh

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying the Continental TerrainContact AT tire next time. Tread looks more highway oriented but the sidewall appears decently aggressive looking. I've been really happy with the Toyo AT3 I have on my F150 though, seem better in the rain than the KOs

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours is not a Timberline, but we went with Continental Terrain Contact AT on our Expedition. Semi-aggressive tread but no road noise and long tread life warranty. Probably overkill for the desert, but doing some road tripping to CO later this month

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
crappy OE Goodyear Wranglers
Interesting that you should say that, since the Wrangler SR-A's on my 011 have over 75k on them (mixed use) and still have a good bit of tread left and only 1 developed a vey slow leak, which I corrected with Fix-A-Flat 2 years ago, notttaproblemo since then...

CDNRabbit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not Timberline but for highway driving I'm really happy with the Continental Cross Contact I installed last week. Road noise and bump absorption is significantly better than the General Grabbers.