22’ Timberline Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

p-rizzle

Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I’ve decided to take the advice of the forum and at least wait to see what’s on offer with the 25’s before making a change.

Bumping the tire pressure down to 35 did result in a noticeable improvement and I think I can live with it for the next 6 months.

@LazSlate: thanks for the info on the Bilatiens. Are you saying the ride could get harsher if I go that route? But would be less bouncy than it is now?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put bilsteins on my xlt and thought the ride was night and day better. It was more firm and composed, not harsh at all. It didn't bounce and wallow or sway. Even towing was noticeably better at controlling the weight hanging off the back end. In my case I used the 5100's. I liked them much more than what I am experiencing with the CCD on the platinum I have now.

The stock non-ccd shocks were not impressive at all.

OP
OP
P

p-rizzle

Reaction score
I put bilsteins on my xlt and thought the ride was night and day better. It was more firm and composed, not harsh at all. It didn't bounce and wallow or sway. Even towing was noticeably better at controlling the weight hanging off the back end. In my case I used the 5100's. I liked them much more than what I am experiencing with the CCD on the platinum I have now.

The stock non-ccd shocks were not impressive at all.
Thank you duneslider! Appreciate the info

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just remember the new one will most likely rattle just as bad after some time, so I wouldn't get too bought into the rattle itself....... Vehicles today are NOT made to last. The dealers are making big coin because they are guaranteed many many repairs.

OP
OP
P

p-rizzle

Reaction score
First day with the Bilstein’s and I can honestly say I’m happy I went for it. The Expy feels much more sporty and the bobble has virtually disappeared. I think I may even be able to stick with the Coopers!

Definitely the honeymoon period, but I’ll keep you all updated as I put more miles on it

OP
OP
P

p-rizzle

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the Coopers with Michelin Defender LTX MS2’s and now the ride transformation is complete. The Coopers were definitely harsh and loud compared to the Michelin’s, but that’s not a very fair comparison as they’re two different categories of tire. I think the Wranglers that come with the Timberline are intentionally on the softer side to improve ride quality. The downside to those tires is that they lose quite a bit of grip in the wet as they wear.

The new tires definitely neuter the overall look of the Timberline, but the ride quality paired with the Bilsteins is what I was hoping for. Maybe a bit in the stiffer side, but it’s a massive improvement and I can now stop thinking about getting a new vehicle. Overall, I spent just over $2600 for the Bilsteins and Michelins. The shocks wereand installed by some very knowledgeable fellas at an off-road store here in Cincinnati (Total Off-road). I ended up going to Costco for the tires as we were there shopping and I found out they could get it done same day. I figured I might as well go for it.

Anyway, if you start to feel your Timberline suspension going, then I think you can do yourself a huge favor by replacing the Shocks and Tires. I think the OEM shocks and Tires would have been just as good a choice as the setup I chose as it would achieve a similar result and also keep the tough look of the Timberline.

I’ll be towing a boat up and back from MI next week and am hoping that experience is vastly improved.

Thanks again for all of the thoughts/advice

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires can ruin a ride. What psi are you running. I bought new tires and the they said to run 50+ psi and it was terrible.
Went down to 32 psi and the ride is nice and wear after 20k miles is perfect. Tire pressure is not soley determined by the tire mfg. its the usage and load and 99% of the time the sticker in the door is correct for any tires and brand.

Tire pressure is entirely a function of the tire size and vehicle weight, use the vehicle recommended pressures if you're running stock size tires..The tire sidewall pressure rating is for that tire at its maximum load, which is likely far higher than the max load of your vehicle.

4G expeditions with 18" wheels and stock size tires run 35 PSI, while 22" stock wheels run 39 PSI. I might run 5 PSI higher on the rears if I'm really heavily loaded AND towing long distances, I swapped the 22's my Ltd Stealth came with for a set of F150 18's.