3.0 and 3.5l performance upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In response to:

I realize the Expy isn't listed as a target model, but these are practically identical power plants. Any chance this would work for an Expy? I realize that a well done, custom aftermarket tune will be better at squeaking out more power, and allow you to customize things like throttle response, etc etc. But there's a few reasons why this is appealing.

1 - Maintains factory powertrain warranty. Aftermarket could "if provable, void the warranty."
2 - If anyone see what Cobb has been through lately, it's only a matter of time before any aftermarket tuner becomes the most wanted by the EPA and CARB. So for those of us with aftermarket tunes, what happens when they get shutdown?
3 - Sure seems to me that anyone with the right diagnostic system could duplicate this "tune". A before and after snapshot of the vehicles programming no?

$825 is quite a pretty penny to pay for something that's not customized to your build, but again, there are pros and cons to each.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In response to:

I realize the Expy isn't listed as a target model, but these are practically identical power plants. Any chance this would work for an Expy? I realize that a well done, custom aftermarket tune will be better at squeaking out more power, and allow you to customize things like throttle response, etc etc. But there's a few reasons why this is appealing.

1 - Maintains factory powertrain warranty. Aftermarket could "if provable, void the warranty."
2 - If anyone see what Cobb has been through lately, it's only a matter of time before any aftermarket tuner becomes the most wanted by the EPA and CARB. So for those of us with aftermarket tunes, what happens when they get shutdown?
3 - Sure seems to me that anyone with the right diagnostic system could duplicate this "tune". A before and after snapshot of the vehicles programming no?

$825 is quite a pretty penny to pay for something that's not customized to your build, but again, there are pros and cons to each.
No I it wouldn't work as the fine writing in the tuning could mess up the Expy's tuning.

1)I always have to repeat this to Bronco and Explorer ST owners. The warranty is only retained for the 3 year/36k warranty that starts at original new purchase of the vehicle. After that, it's considered an aftermarket part, and you seem like you pretty much know how warranty works after that with an aftermarket part.

2)Cobb isn't going anywhere. Huge topic on the Explorer ST forums. Let's say hypothetically, Cobb goes away, the tune you have currently will still work perfectly fine, just hope that you had all the revisions that you wanted. Also, if you have the tune before Cobb goes away and EPA goes after the company, they can't go after you, only obstacle for the user would be passing emissions.

The Ford Performance tunes are just expensive higher-end canned tunes, if that's what you want great, but for the same price other tuners are 100% better.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I it wouldn't work as the fine writing in the tuning could mess up the Expy's tuning.

1)I always have to repeat this to Bronco and Explorer ST owners. The warranty is only retained for the 3 year/36k warranty that starts at original new purchase of the vehicle. After that, it's considered an aftermarket part, and you seem like you pretty much know how warranty works after that with an aftermarket part.

2)Cobb isn't going anywhere. Huge topic on the Explorer ST forums. Let's say hypothetically, Cobb goes away, the tune you have currently will still work perfectly fine, just hope that you had all the revisions that you wanted. Also, if you have the tune before Cobb goes away and EPA goes after the company, they can't go after you, only obstacle for the user would be passing emissions.

The Ford Performance tunes are just expensive higher-end canned tunes, if that's what you want great, but for the same price other tuners are 100% better.
So I feel like there are two different things being said here though. The actual tune comes with a 3/36k FPP warranty. Based on this article that warranty begins when the part is installed, but more importantly for me was the fact that it doesn't void the standard 5YR/60K powertrain warranty and in general, won't void a Ford ESP. To me that's bit of a benefit, and no, I didn't think Cobb was going away, but what they can do, what they can sell, and how the support what you've already bought will be hampered. And I can almost guarantee that's going to spread like wildfire, like the 5Stars, Livernois, etc.

Tune FPP - https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf