3200 miles-round trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
truck runs fine...oil is changed almost every month,filter every other. plugs ,wires,ram air,brakes,shocks,ALL sus. bushings done 8 mths ago....:cool:

....so,getting rdy to drive to florida,cruise around there and return to new jersey. what would you guys check for or do.

i get oil change when i arrive in fl.,thats like almost 1000 miles....then do it again when i get home. all together...i say 3200-maybe 3500 if we go to miami as well as orlando...:eek:

EastCoast4x4

Reaction score
I would certainly change out the gear oil in the axles, as well as change tranny fluid and filter if it hasn't been done recently. Many people tend to overlook those fluids, but they see more heat and wear and tear than most others. Also, being that your truck is from a rust belt, I would seriously check out the hard and soft brake lines coming from the master cylinder on down. My truck is out of Michigan, and I know that my lines have maybe another 6 months before one or both completely fail coming off the master cylinder. Do that, check the radiator and possibly flush and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea.....gonna do that.....can loose pressure to with dirty gas filter.....gonna check my lines too. theres a rubber hose suppose to crack or go bad behined throttle body....yours still good?gotta look 4that. people say they go bad....

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the spare is air up and ready to go. Also make sure practice using the spare holder. Would suck having to use it on the side of the road, only to find it's rusted, and won't lower the spare.

I think it was on here where someone lost their spare from the cable rusting through?

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i got this truck 2 yrs ago ....i had to get spare and that lowering thingy...$75 for that spare holder...

gonna do rear ends gear oil....
did motor oil today...wanted to do this gas filter thing myself....might practice at my friends salvage yard...hes got 3 of them(epeditions). heard theres a clip on both sides...need tool i think.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I read this thread this morning and it reminded me that I should change out some fluids while the weather was nice. I went to pick up some synthetic lube for the rear diff, and I checked the manual to see what the capacity was. I was surprised that it said that since it contained synthetic lube from the factory it was "lubricated for life". What a bunch of crap. ANY lube, even synthetic, wears out eventually. Unfortunately, Advance Auto Parts only had 1 quart on the shelf, so that project will have to wait until another nice day. The only thing I was unsure of was whether or not I need to add the friction modifier when using synthetic lube.

Reaction score
Just did my rear diff the other day. What a pain getting the fluid back in. I got my oil from ford, $19 a bottle, plus the modifier. I also bought a 4 foot of 3/8 clear hose 5 ft would have been better. brass air fitting. assembled the hose and fitting then into the diff. This way i could be out from under the truck.