3rd gen, 180k miles needs shocks and rear upper control arms, what else should I replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rolandus

Reaction score
Just bought this 2010 EL a few weeks ago. It's got 180k miles on it. I took it to the mechanic for a thorough look-over and they say it needs new shocks, front and rear, and upper control arms in the rear.

I'm about 90% convinced I'm going to try doing it myself, but I'm curious, since I'll be in there anyway, what other suspension components should I replace at the same time? Do I just go for break and replace everything I can reach, or what's the best way to check for wear and see what's really needed?

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
If it were me, yes, I would replace just about everything while I was in there...but ONLY if I was planning to keep it for a good while afterwards...

Have you visually/physically checked anything ? Here's a few suggestions to start:

Like maybe jack up the front, grab the tires & try to wiggle them back & forth. If they are firm and without much play or noise, then the tie-rods/control arms, hubs, bearings etc would probably be in fair to good shape.... but if the slop around like a loose gash-trash on a Saturday night, then you know what you have to do :)

On the back you should be looking for leaks/drips from the differential housing, as well as the condition of the other parts too. And if it has the "Air Ride" suspension system, then the sensors & pump should be inspected closely also, as that system tends to either last practically forever, or fail early.. (been there, done that, had to replace the sensor & it's wiring harness at 78K)

But alot depends on:

A) How good or bad the previous owner(s) were about maintenance/repairs....did they do it well or just let stuff go way too long

B) How good or bad the previous owners were on their driving habits & environments. If most of those 108k were on the highway/around town etc, then normal wear & tear would dictate regular maintenance & replacement of most of the suspension parts anyways, but if the vehicle was used for off-roading, towing or other hard work, then you should be able to tell from the way it rides & drives, as well as the way it looks underneath....

Hopefully you will find that it has been well maintained, but if not, you should be prepared to shell out some significant $$ for the parts, most of which you can either replace with OEM stuff, or upgrade to higher-end stuff that should last a long, long time, depending on what you intend to do with it...

Good luck either way, and if you can, please post a progress report as you go. I'm sure alot of the membership would like to hear/see about it !