3rd gen vs. 4th gen towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharlesP

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition Limited (3rd gen), with 125k miles on it. We tow a ~6800 lb trailer loaded (maybe a tad more on long trips). We've made several long trips from Florida to out west (UT,AZ,CO,WY) with it and it does pretty good. It's certainly not a speed demon going up Wolf Creek or Monarch passes, and we usually let it rest at the top, but other than that it does good.

My question is: Should we look at buying a new(er) 4th gen Expedition ? Will the twin turbo V6 work ? Or should we keep maintaining the 2012 (it's starting to have little things like blend doors go wrong) ?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I went from my 2006/5.4L V8 to the 2018/3.5L EcoBoost it was a night and day improvement! Way more torque in the new engine, at lower rpms, and the 10-speed keeps you in the sweet spot way more often. I'm towing 7200lbs loaded in Western Canada. You should definitely look at a new one.