4H Driving on dry pavement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
"Locked" 4x4 on any pavement will cause axle wind up which will "bang" when the tires finally slip and release the stored twist. Other than the frightening noise there seems to be no other problems. But if you've experienced the "bang" on an old Army 5-ton first hand you're unlikely to forget it!

When I read these Gen4 issues regarding the placement of these controls I'm thankful I bought my 2017 Gen3 and didn't wait for the 2018 models despite the nicer gearbox and fuel injection. :) Big gear lever not a dial (never have to look at it), the 4x4 controls are on the dash (2H, 4A, 4H, 4L), and the tow-haul and gear lockouts on the gear lever. Unlikely of accidentally activating anything I don't want. I sometimes refer to 4A as "Subaru mode" 'cuz we have two Subies. Set it and forget it.

-- Chuck

mhExped

Reaction score
Same with my 21. To get 4H you need to put the drive mode in Snow or Sand (something like that) and that will give you 4H. Glad they put a button for it in 22+.
Mud and Ruts, I believe...For those of us w/o the (very sensible) button to select 4H.