4th Gen (2022) Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFWHD

Reaction score
First post here... I'm looking to move from my 2013 XLT as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and ordering a 22 Limited and am hoping someone can answer a few questions about the 4th Gens:

2013 drivers seat trim has been replaced about every 2 years. Does the 4th gen suffer the same problem? I'm aware that the cause is not using the running boards, but my knee probelms don't really allow it.

2013 moon roof had to be replaced at 5 years, is this common? I'm guessing the larger panel costs a lot more...

How is the reliability of the power running boards on the 4th gen? Seem to see a lot of posts on issues/failures, but is that just the squeaky wheel syndrome?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First post here... I'm looking to move from my 2013 XLT as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and ordering a 22 Limited and am hoping someone can answer a few questions about the 4th Gens:

2013 drivers seat trim has been replaced about every 2 years. Does the 4th gen suffer the same problem? I'm aware that the cause is not using the running boards, but my knee probelms don't really allow it.

2013 moon roof had to be replaced at 5 years, is this common? I'm guessing the larger panel costs a lot more...

How is the reliability of the power running boards on the 4th gen? Seem to see a lot of posts on issues/failures, but is that just the squeaky wheel syndrome?
I have one of the first 4th Gens to roll off the line (build date of January 2018) and from my personal experience:

I have never had a problem with my running boards and I do ZERO maintenance on them. They get used a LOT as I have kids and a wife who always either leave something in the house or in the vehicle and have to go back to get it. I will say I live in DFW (as I see you do as well), so I have not had to deal with snow or significant road salt; those factors may weigh negatively on performance.

My sunroof has also been great. It does get creaky occasionally (see other posts I have made) but that is remedied through simply venting and closing it again. There was a TSB posted on another thread that involves cleaning and lubing the thing and I may try to do that soon.

My driver's seat trim is also in great shape. I do use the running boards but I am short so I tend to slide out of the seat giving the trim a workout. That bolster is a little worn, but nothing in excess of what I would expect after 4+ years.

Generally speaking, other than a few niggling issues (most of which have been addressed under warranty and have been corrected on later MYs) the thing has been rock solid from stem to stern.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
in the almost 3 years (50k miles) I've owned mine I've only had my passenger side board hang up once. It kept trying to close but retract back out which lead me to believe there was something in the pivot mechanism so I hit it with some simple green and a toothbrush for about 2 mins, pressure washed the hell out of the pivot points, hit them with some fluid film and it hasn't done it since. I live in western PA so heavy salt area and this happened in the middle of winter.

My driveline on the other hand, I wish I could say it has been more reliable... cam phaser issue at 33k, waste gate rattle, major shuddering. I really hope they have fixed these issues.

I would also like to add this is without a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned (outside of the driveline troubles). Nothing matches the mpgs, power, comfort, and luxury of this vehicle imo for the money. Its why I can't part ways with it even though its been plagued with problems LOL.

OP
OP
D

DFWHD

Reaction score
Thanks guys, greatly appreciate the feedback. I was able to check out a 22 at the Dallas auto show today and ended up at my dealership and ordered a Limited Stealth package. Now the waiting begins...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eek, you ordered? Hopefulli everything works out but a lotta ppl with orders have been getting pushed back and the my23 order banks open in july.

OP
OP
D

DFWHD

Reaction score
No deposit, so nothing lost. worst case I hold onto my 2013 longer... Curious, how can you order a 23 after july? Do the order guides come out that early?