A/C condensate drain is clogged on 03 EB with 5.4L– any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
I have a clogged AC condensate drain and decided to try and snake it today.
Due to the angle of the drain and the proximity to all sorts of stuff near it, getting a coat hanger up there and being able get it to bend into the drain without binding up is a real MF'er. Was only able to slide about 4 or 5 inches into her (go ahead and grin – I understand) before it hits something or gets snagged. So I'm not sure if it's just that the coat hanger isn't the best tool for the job, or if I might just already be up against the clog.

Does anyone know how far I should be able to run this coat hanger up inside there if there was no clog at all?

I'm thinking of maybe trying to run some air from a compressor up into it – but I'm not sure if the air pressure could damage anything? I've never had a condensate drain clog before, so anyone with some experience – please feel free to share.

In the pics ( I zoomed in on the second pic), you can see that little black circle way back up in there – that's the drain (not to be confused the obvious drip tube that goes further up to whatever ). Between the drip tube, exhaust and O2 sensor all being right there – it prevents me from even getting close to the drain so I can brace/support the coat hanger as it bends for that initial turn into the drain.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drilled a hole in the A/C plenum box at the passenger knee bolster area and flushed it out from that side with Simple Green and a utility sprayer of water. If the carpet is getting wet it's likely drain water is back flowing around the foam gasket there at the drain hole and coming back into the passenger carpet and insulation. You'll need to put the drain elbow on the drain outlet as per the TSB. If you do choose to drill the clean out hole, just put a piece of black duct tape over it when you're done. I've used rubber plugs too, but the black duct tape works fine.

-Mike

pnIcvnflj

A/C drain elbow in place ....
pmMPMNWIj

OP
OP
StreetCreeper

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
I drilled a hole in the A/C plenum box at the passenger knee bolster area and flushed it out from that side with Simple Green and a utility sprayer of water. If the carpet is getting wet it's likely drain water is back flowing around the foam gasket there at the drain hole and coming back into the passenger carpet and insulation. You'll need to put the drain elbow on the drain outlet as per the TSB. If you do choose to drill the clean out hole, just put a piece of black duct tape over it when you're done. I've used rubber plugs too, but the black duct tape works fine.

–Mike

Interesting that there is a fix for this with the elbow! My carpet definitely was wet down by the passenger sill plate. I made sure not to use the HVAC with the AC or defroster going for a few day while it dried out, then I ran it through the wash and also let it get rained on for a couple days with no new signs of water. I cranked up the a/c for about 10 minutes and sat under the truck watching for any water – but never saw anything even dribble out the drain.

So not sure if clogged or just leaking like you mentioned.

I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun trying to figure out how to get an elbow on it.

So when you drilled out a hole, were you able to see the clog from that side or did you just sort of blindly spray around in there until things started flowing again?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is that little vertical tube above your flashlight in your photo ? Is that some kind of drain aid tube somebody put in the outlet that slipped out of place? They should've just fixed it right the first time....

If you have one of those utility scopes you can stick it through the hole and look around. But if you spray some cleaner and water through the hole you should definitely see it pouring out of the drain tube right away. There's some previous posts on installing the elbow. Stick it in some boiling water for about ten minutes to soften it up, and use a long flat blade screw driver to shove it onto the drain tube from underneath the truck.
Looks like someone has already been messing around with your drain tube? Or did you take the plastic cover off before you took the pictures?

-Mike

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-09-18_150727_A1.pdf

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-hose-connector-4m2z6a614aa

Last edited:
OP
OP
StreetCreeper

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
If you have one of those utility scopes you can stick it through the hole and look around. But if you spray some cleaner and water through the hole you should definitely see it pouring out of the drain tube right away. There's some previous posts on installing the elbow. Stick it in some boiling water for about ten minutes to soften it up, and use a long flat blade screw driver to shove it onto the drain tube from underneath the truck.
Looks like someone has already been messing around with your drain tube? Or did you take the plastic cover off before you took the pictures?

-Mike

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-09-18_150727_A1.pdf

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-hose-connector-4m2z6a614aa

Thanks for the TSB & part link!

The way it looks in my pics is just the way I found it. I didn't know there is supposed to be plastic cover. Would that be like a hinged cover or something (like a doggy door)? I'm just trying to envision what cover could have been there.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This plastic cover should've been over the drain tube outlet on the firewall, if it wasn't there someone has already been messing with outlet .... the cover would've needed to be pried off, it wouldn't just accidentally fall off ....

pnbVYm3Wj

OP
OP
StreetCreeper

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
This plastic cover should've been over the drain tube outlet on the firewall, if it wasn't there someone has already been messing with outlet .... the cover would've needed to be pried off, it wouldn't just accidentally fall off ....

Yeah that definitely wasn't up there.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cover and/or a 90-degree elbow is used on the A/C condensate drain to prevent air (while the vehicle is being driven) from pushing the draining water back into the case.

I have used a long "zip-tie" (non-clasp end) to clear a clog in the A/C drain (instead of a coat hanger). The zip-tie is flexible, won't break and doesn't have a sharp end that could puncture something.