A/C questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PGW7

Reaction score
Hello all. I drove my 2009 Expy to the store last week in hot weather with ac working fine. When heading home, I started up and immediately heard a noise that almost sounded like a bugle with a single constant tone. Noise stopped after 10 seconds or so and so did my cold air.

When home, I turned on engine, selected ac and looked to see if the clutch engaged. It was spinning very slowly. There was some sticky tar like residue on the clutch and I found a small clump of this black stuff nearby.

Any thoughts on whether it may just need the clutch replaced and how to troubleshoot?

Many thanks.

The Chairman

Reaction score
That sound could have been a leak and your system depleting itself.
Have you checked your pressures?
If the system depressurized, buy a can of that recharge stuff and slowly add to your system, listening for the hiss of a leak. I have replaced several condensers over the years that took a rock that made it through the grill. Fix what’s leaking and get it recharged.

If the system is fully charged, and you think its the clutch; yes, you can replace just the clutch itself. But might as well replace the whole compressor/clutch assembly as old as it is.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should get a set of gauges so you can see what's going on with your pressure. If it got warmer over a long period of time you can usually just add refrigerant to last another long time, plus fix your clutch problem but if you have the get a new compressor you will have remove the refrigerant, vacuum the system, and refill it.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My a/c compressor seized up the other day after a long drive in very hot weather. I decided to let a shop fix it, and do it correctly. Replaced the compressor, condenser, receiver, etc. $1,100 with a lifetime warranty. Probably not the smartest move, but I'm on a mission to see if I can get a billion miles on my Expy. It is nice knowing that AC should have no issues for the rest of the truck's life. Just my .02 cents and not everyone would agree this was money well spent. No need to comment on how I should have done it differently because it's already done. Thanks!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My a/c compressor seized up the other day after a long drive in very hot weather. I decided to let a shop fix it, and do it correctly. Replaced the compressor, condenser, receiver, etc. $1,100 with a lifetime warranty. Probably not the smartest move, but I'm on a mission to see if I can get a billion miles on my Expy. It is nice knowing that AC should have no issues for the rest of the truck's life. Just my .02 cents and not everyone would agree this was money well spent. No need to comment on how I should have done it differently because it's already done. Thanks!
With all those parts it could run into that much money plus they had to evacuate it, probably flush it, and add lots of refrigerant for front and rear units.................