a few newbie questions on expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
First of all, i would like to commend the staff and members of this site...outstanding information and i'm glad i found you all!

Now...i recently purchased a '00 xlt sport 5.4L w/ 74,500 miles. I am 1k miles from my first oil change and i am going to change all fluids in my truck when i do the oil change (i'm a truck driver, and a bit **** on servicing my rides) I have a couple questions that i could not find answers to when i searched this forum....

1) 5W20 is the recommended engine oil. It is my belief that 5W20 is recommended due to fuel economy and may not be as good as 5W30 at preventing wear on internal lubricated parts. Personally, i would rather have a well lubricated, working engine than save the minimal fuel mileage that 5W20 would offer....your thoughts?

2) I have determined thru information on this site that i have the 4R100 transmission. And from further information thru google i have figured out that i have a torque converter drain. I am going to do a complete service on the transmission, and the specs call for mercon transmission fluid (Dexron III/Mercon). My local parts store wants me to put Mercon V in it claiming that "It is the most updated, technologically sound transmission fluid and can be used in any transmission that calls for any type of Mercon .
I bought the "Haynes" service manual for the truck (which i do for every vehicle i've ever owned). The specs for this truck with a 4R70W calls for a Mercon V. My question is this then, If the MerconV is good for the 4R70W (as stated in the manual), and the Mercon V is good for any transmission that required any type of Mercon transmission fluid, then why would the manual list only Mercon as the required transmission fluid for the 4R100 and not the Mercon V? .......again...your thoughts are appreciated.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4R100 is a strong tranny, same as the Lightning trucks, and should last you a good long time.

I've read a lot of different opinions on tranny fluid, some people have good luck with swapping fluids and some report odd shifting.

I stick to what's in the manual. I change it out every two years so it never gets too old. I just don't see any real benefit of going against the manual.

I run 10W30 in my truck, I think 5W30 would be fine as well. I don't like the 5W20 much either.