Misfire need help !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Esat

Reaction score
I'm at 163k on my Gen 1. No injector issues. Just timing chain and turbo manifold. But I use top tier fuel so YMMV. It's not something I've heard mentioned frequently as being problematic on these engines. My misfires were plug gaps and the towel incident. I haven't even changed my coils.

Check the plug wells for oil too. The plastic valve covers leak eventually and oil will get into the well.
Also if you find instead of oil, coolant,this calls for intake manifold replacement like mine. In front corner side rubber gasket getting old and starting to leak coolant, that goes in to the holes of plugs and causing misfire.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds funny, but stick a flashlight up the tailpipe and look for insulation. My muffler came apart internally and plugged the tailpipe with the fiberglass insulation and caused a misfire on cylinder #6. This happened to me while towing our RV. Looked like a dead animal was stuck in the exhaust pipe.
Yep, this has been an issue in the past!

I will just add that I think OEM motor craft plugs manufactured after 2021 turned to crap. I changed my plugs with motor craft plugs bought from autozone (not Amazon), and started having misfire issues. Took to dealer, and they said my plug was bad(had less than 10k miles on em.)
YES! Complete crap!

Re: Injectors…
Techron fuel system and injector cleaner has been my gold standard in my 5.4 and 3.5 Expeditions for nearly twenty years.
The 2003 5.4 went 262,000 miles and ran great other than spitting out three spark plugs (Staked inserts) and new Motorcraft coils, when I traded it in for the 2015.
It was a total Northern Indiana rust bucket but ran great.
The 2015 only has 132,000 miles on it with no problems so far.
Techron is an EXCELLENT option. I would have recommended it also above but the RP was one sale, and also GREAT stuff.

sandbuster

Reaction score
I also have a 2017 Expy. The day I road tested it at the dealer (it had around 70K miles) it seemed to run great then we hit the freeway and I advised the salesrep I was going to punch it - fell flat on it's face. Sales lady was certain she just lost a sale. Being a retired (25 year) Ford tech I told her just take it to service and call me when it's ready - the next day I got the call. She said they replaced the plugs which Carfacts already advised this was done previously. So took the 30 minute drive to the dealer for a 2nd road test. Repeated the same test as day before - those twin turbos about had me in the back seat when I nailed it. I bought the car. I had a hard time believing that just changing the plugs made that much difference but I didn't argue as the performance was great. This is my fourth Expedition but first EcoBoost - I like the car. My previous ride was a '19 TRD 4Runner - liked that car also but not a lot of room on the inside.

So to your car what is the issue and at what speed? Under load or just at cruise speeds? Any chance you knock off a vacuum line that may cause #6 to run lean? Just throwing mud on the wall like everyone else hoping to help get you going in the right direction.