Air Bag Suspension and / or Rear Seay Bar Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new tires have less sidewall and are a stiffer sidewall so it would have had a pretty big impact on stability. The Stock michelins on 18's are super soft sidewalls and def felt squirmy to me when towing. They rode really nice but they are a super soft tire. Going lower profile and stiff sidewall would be a massive difference.

squishy/squirmy is entirely a function of air pressure. the tire sidewalls just hold the pressure in, they are NOT load bearing.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
squishy/squirmy is entirely a function of air pressure. the tire sidewalls just hold the pressure in, they are NOT load bearing.
I disagree, you are saying there is no difference in feel between a Load E and a Load C at the same air pressure? This is also very apparent in bike tires. I can run a soft sidewall and a heavy sidewall at the same air pressure and there is a HUGE difference. Tire construction plays a role in the feel and handling.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sumo spring spacers help a lot. have had mine on for almost 3yrs no issues and definitely helped when I towed a travel trailer at near the Expy's max.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sumo spring spacers help a lot. have had mine on for almost 3yrs no issues and definitely helped when I towed a travel trailer at near the Expy's max.
@5280tunage what improvement did you see? I have been hesitant to try sumosprings but have not been impressed with towing with the CCD. The bilsteins seemed to control the rear end way better when towing on my xlt. I really need to do something and the rear swaybar and sumosprings are on my list of things to try.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the sumo spring spacers for one helped with squat quite a bit, which you would expect, and that was specific to towing a large load.

outside of towing, i believe they also do a couple additional things. I believe they help reduce rear sway (along with the sway bar upgrade) as spring compression is slightly reduced. That can impact the ride a little bit with the added stiffness, i.e. bumps in the road may be felt a little more. But on the positive side, I believe they funciton a little like insulators on A/C systems, in that they reduce resonance a little bit in the rear. I don't have any empirical proof of that but if you think about, it's very much like putting noise isolation materials on hard surfaces, it can help reduce the vibration in the base material. In general, between my two swaybars, and the sumo spring spacers, I'm okay with my ride. It's still nothing like my previous vehicle with airbags, but it's pretty good.