Air Suspension Conversion to Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering converting to shocks on my 98 Expy. I'm not an offroader mainly town and highway driving. My current system works fine it's just that it's extremely stiff. My question is if I switch to shocks, say Rancho 5000 series will it soften and make it a more comfortable ride?

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah until you snap your tbars.
the air ride torsion bars are much weaker than the standard expedition tbars, they did this do the air springs up front could level the truck, anyway monroe sells coil overs for the front that ride really good, I have them on my truck and I really like them.
not sure what the part number is but google it.
Should be able to get the pair for around $100 or so.
Also note that you cant just take out the front air springs and leave the rear bags in so you will also have to convert the rear air bags to coil springs.
Monroe part 90010 will have the coil overs for the front, and the springs for the back.

tburd

Reaction score
did you ever convert from air shocks? My truck has 192K and I've changed the passenger front shocks three times now and the air compressor is always kicking in. Considering the conversion kits.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you ever convert from air shocks? My truck has 192K and I've changed the passenger front shocks three times now and the air compressor is always kicking in. Considering the conversion kits.

CONVERT CONVERT CONVERT!
Monroe part 90010