Aluminum Skin & Magnet Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking, while trying to fall asleep last night. I have not seen any brackets that mount an antenna to the roof rack cross member, but I have a spare set of bolt holes on the roof rack where you can move the rear cross member. I could fashion a steel plate to bolt in that spot that would mimic a roof mount and allow a mag mount. It would be near the edge, so less than ideal, but, I think, better than the other options. Interested in yall’s thoughts.

I have thought about finding a way to attach something to the roof rack also, like you are describing. I have the lip mount on my jeep and really like it but I am not ready to put that on the expedition yet.
I don't have the garage door clearance for it to work well mounted anywhere on the expedition.

I would still recommend you use a more secure mount than the mag mount. You could still use your same theory but get an nmo mount and mount that to the plate. It will require a little more work to take on and off but I think you will be happier with the performance. The comet sbb-5 has a fold over mast that you could easily just fold over and maybe not have to remove.

I haven't used a mag mount in a long time but everyone I used would slide around on the paint at high speeds, or tip over at speed. Your bracket that just attached with 2 bolts would be pretty easy to remove and would give the antenna a much better ground.

OP
OP
S

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could also fabricate hey one by one piece of steel tubing or just a flat piece of Steel stock that goes up between the bed and the cab in the middle or on either side if you want and then put a flat surface across the top either three to six inches apart or even make it wider if you want. I am a ham operator and have used 2 meter and 70cm but I've never used anything but a handheld for this. I think the mobile antennas are fairly short though.

If I am reading you right, that sounds more like a pick-up solution than an Expedition solution.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I thought the body panels are aluminum, but the body structure is still steel. The roof may be steel.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I am reading you right, that sounds more like a pick-up solution than an Expedition solution.

I thought the body panels are aluminum, but the body structure is still steel. The roof may be steel.
Sorry. I lost my mind there for a minute. With an SUV we're back to doing the same thing I did on my conversion vans. Rear bumper and straight up in the air on the right corner.