Backup Camera Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nochruto

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their backup camera? My quality is pretty poor and I'd be willing to spend a little money to have a better camera but can't find anything direct plug and play.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The backup camera screen on my 2014 Limited is a small inset in the inside rear view mirror. I’ve never been totally happy with it, but have never had a problem using it to back up to my trailer hitch. I usually nail it on the 4th or 5th attempt!

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their backup camera? My quality is pretty poor and I'd be willing to spend a little money to have a better camera but can't find anything direct plug and play.
You won't find anything "plug and play" due to proprietary connections. The camera is wired within an 8 pin Molex in the tailgate. You might be able to cut and solder, but that may cause more problems in the end due to electrical resistance of the solder. Video impedance is usually quite specific.

stilbo

Reaction score
Will that Molex connector in itself be a problem in regards to the pins not making sufficient contact within the connector?
My 2015 & 2017 both have intermittent failures. Both seem to be associated with the tailgate opening and closing after long intervals of non use.