Battery died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be a parasitic drain somewhere. The Ford batteries are trash though. I made the mistake of giving them another chance when my wife needed a battery for her Civic and 1 year later, it was toast.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If not ford, what battery is good. I was leaning Odyssey agm, but my classic seems to have a dead cell after only 32 months. It keeps coming up with 75% charge and I caught on as the car started cranking slow this summer.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to be negative (hey, that's funny in a battery thread!), but my wife just replaced her 3 1/2 old battery. Seems like all these batteries anymore are junk. The guy who replaced hers told her not to expect much more than 3 years anymore, especially out here in AZ with the heat. My brother was told the same thing with his Lincoln. 3 years max, and he just moved from SC to MD.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve always been told by people in the desert that they don’t get much life out of a battery. I’ve been getting the usual 5 years out of the Autozone house brand by Johnson controls. Have always got the gold line until three years ago when I tried the agm version. I suppose I’ll go back to the well again for the expy.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a crap shoot with batteries. I'm coming up on 5 years on mine. The truck was sitting for over 4 weeks and it started right up, and no indication of any battery issues.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have my battery 5+ years. I put the truck on a trickle charger about once per month since new. You can sense a weak battery if the auto stop/start is no longer working.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I installed a new Napa Gold battery 4 years ago in my 011 EL, and sometimes it sits for 5-7 days without moving, and it has never failed to start... and my wife's 17 Acadia is still going strong on the original GM FACTORY battery nottaproblemo.....

OTOH, my brother's fully loaded 2024 Expy, bought new in Jan, is on it's 2nd battery replacement so far, so I tend to believe that either the massive amount of electronics and/or crappy quality battery is the cause of the failures, although the dealer tech who replaced it would not admit to or agree with that.... he just said "well, sometimes bad ones make it out of the factory"

Note that he has OCD about unplugging all accessories and/or turning off anything he doesn't use, probably as a result of his 30 year career as an electronics engineer :D

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a follow up, my Expy still has the original battery too. Going on 6 yo, sits (garaged) for days to a week, never an issue. I think like everything else, there's good and bad.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a crap shoot with batteries. I'm coming up on 5 years on mine. The truck was sitting for over 4 weeks and it started right up, and no indication of any battery issues.
That’s where I live and is why I think I get the life they expect out of batteries. Mine is just now five years old with 4.5 years of service. This odyssey is first I can think of that won’t make a normal life. The company said to expect 3-10 years, an absurd range to give, and it won’t make it to three years. I charged it again yesterday and it again was down to 75%. The agm charger I have pulled it up quickly, but I bet it will be down again today. I unhooked it in case the car has a short, something I doubt.