Battery Draining on a '22 Timberline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsdw2

Reaction score
We have a new to us Ford Timberline Expedition that we purchased 6 months ago. Since purchase we have have gone into deep sleep mode several times, but we weren't driving it as much as we likely should have been. Took it to dealer and they tested the battery and the Expedition as well. All good with no issues. Since that time a month ago it went into deep sleep again. Before today I didn't really take any battery readings. So I decided to install my favorite bullet proof battery in - an Odyssey. At delivery it was fully charged. I installed it and decided the next day to top it off with my Noco charger. I was a bit surprised it ran as long as it did. So this morning I take it off (it wasn't charging) and I took a voltage reading. 13.22V. All good. I left the hood open and put both keys away so I didn't wakeup the vehicle all day. Took a reading at 5pm and it was 13.05V.

I will take another reading in the morning, but here is the question. Are there any settings (etc.) that can really drain a battery in an Expedition? I mean other than some sort of an electrical problem?

OP
OP
T

thompsdw2

Reaction score
Thought about it some more. Just turned off automatic updates, Bluetooth, and WiFi. We shall see. I will post here for followup. Probably can't live without bluetooth but I will see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thompsdw2

Reaction score
Completely flat on voltage last night. I think the auto update was the problem.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you charge the battery with an external charger, the voltage will read high at first until the surface charge depletes. The normal reading for a fully charged battery with the engine off is between 12.3 and 12.7 volts. If the vehicle sits for 3 weeks or so without driving, you might want to consider a battery maintainer charger, or a solar battery maintainer if you aren't parked in total shade all day.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
When you charge the battery with an external charger, the voltage will read high at first until the surface charge depletes. The normal reading for a fully charged battery with the engine off is between 12.3 and 12.7 volts. If the vehicle sits for 3 weeks or so without driving, you might want to consider a battery maintainer charger, or a solar battery maintainer if you aren't parked in total shade all day.
Reminder to all: do NOT connect any trickle or full charger to the battery terminal. For the Battery Management system to read proper voltage chargers must be connected to BM sensor. Otherwise it takes time for system to adjust

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2024 Platinum and it usually takes about one and a half weeks of no driving before it tells us that the remote functions are disabled on the vehicle.

ak_in_socal

Reaction score
We had a similar issue on a ‘22 xlt. Made sure that the FordPass app isn’t open on my phone, even in the background, and that fixed the issue.

Clearly some software flaw where connection to the internet was keeping the car awake.