Battery issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ Toronto

Reaction score
Hello
I recently had an issue with the battery draining after being parked for anything more than 1 day. I brought it to the mechanic, who said they checked everything and it was just the battery. So it was replaced about 3 weeks ago. It has been parked for the last 7 days and today when I went to go out, it was dead again. Not even doing the ticking noise as it often does when a battery needs a boost.
I boosted it and it started. I drove it back to the mechanic, who seemed shocked to see me, and explained why I was there. I decided to turn it off at the shop so he could see. Again, I had to boost it when I left. He says he’s going to check the alternator. Also! I should mention, this time as well, as soon as I boost it, the passenger side headlight burns out. This has happened about 3 or 4 times now. The bulb that burnt out today is about 4 weeks old. I’m beginning to get really frustrated and am considering burning the truck to the ground.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Sounds like a phantom ground and/or a short somewhere....

After getting a known good battery, start at the battery cables & clamps, which could be causing either or both of these issues, then work your way down the line to the various places that could have the above...

The headlight burning out after boosting could be from a power surge too, but that would warrant an alternator & voltage regulator test, as well as the headlight switch itself...

Just some suggestions to think about, I'm not an expert at this, I am merely passing along my general knowledge of & experience with how cars work :D