Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas D

Reaction score
2015 expedition XLT
Anything new on battery during after doors and tailgate left open for 3-4 hours?
Have to leave open when working dogs.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2015 expedition XLT
Anything new on battery during after doors and tailgate left open for 3-4 hours?
What are you asking...cause the question makes no functional sense. We can guess what you are asking, but maybe you should clarify.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 expedition XLT
If you're asking whether you will kill the battery: yes. The tailgate will keep the interior lights on, unless you manually flip the tailgate latch so the vehicle thinks the tailgate is closed. I'm not sure about the doors, because I've never left them open that long.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I leave the tailgate open all the time on my '14 EL LTD as I work out of it. Not sure when the lights go out, but they do, and they definitely do with the doors left open. Just be sure, as said above, that your not set on full on for interior lights...

OP
OP
T

Thomas D

Reaction score
I just checked and interior lights will go out after doors are open for 10 minutes.
However after one is shut and then reopened, the cycle starts again.
Haven’t checked tailgate yet.
I will check the interior brightness.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
All the lights on my 2014 time out when any of the doors are left open. It’s always been like that. I didn’t know there is a light timer setting.
Same here on my '011 EL, not sure of the exact timing, but it's fairly short, like 30-60 seconds or so...

But moving the lighting selector to "interior on", they will stay on for a good bit longer (15-30 mins ?), at least until the battery starts to drain a bit, then they all shut off to avoid killing the battery completely....